2 replies to this topic

#1 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

Had the joy of seeing this last night. The good bits are fantastic, but it is very brown, very. And I know the production is all based on wood, and a million and one things to do with wood ( and probably there is a pun there - but not as laboured as the Bottom/bottom - ass/arse pun that gets explicit treatment here), but it is very brown and drab, with dark, dark textured lighting. So textured that much of the detailed puppet work gets lost. And it is gorgeous puppet work in a very fidgety production. I didn't mind the cuts, but was sad to not to have Puck's final 'If we shadows have offended', but it would have seemed unnecessary after the rather satisfying, heart stopping ending they do provide. The Bristol Old Vic is first to invite comparison to War Horse (it's on the posters) but this production does not have the economic eloquence nor the heart of that production. What it does have is plenty of relentlessly busy staging, and some gorgeous puppetry.

And what of puppets, folks? They certainly excite me, what about you, or do you think they are a gimmick?

#2 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:26 PM

This production is coming to the Barbican from Feb 12th - 15th. I guess touring elsewhere too as its only 4 dates in London?
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#3 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

well it's currently in America at the moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users