4 replies to this topic

#1 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

Posted here as we don't have an Opera section, Operas aren't musicals, and it's probably of more relevance here :)

Went (along with David Mellor who was sitting behind me) to see the UK premiere of George Benjamin's opera, with text by Martin Crimp and directed by Katie Mitchell. Interestingly this meant I was able to establish that Crimp and Mitchell are actually two seperate people as they appeared on stage together for the curtain call. They really do look like twins though.

Anyway, as you'd expect it's fairly challenging but I thoroughly enjoyed it. You can also have a fun game of Katie Mitchell bingo - the 13th Century set is surrounded by a modern set populated by people in black clothes who spend most of the time carrying trays around in slow motion. I had to restrain myself from cheering when two of them picked up chairs and carried them in slow motion.

Not cheap but a bargain by Royal Opera House standards - most tickets £65, also some cheaper seats still available for some performances.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#2 Coated peanut

Coated peanut

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

Ah, I didn't book this one my last ROH binge booking (love their cheap seats) and now slightly regret it. I used to have a huge anti-Mitchell booking policy, but liked a couple of her recent offers (can't resist anything Jacobean). I'm not sure I'll ever get as far as booking because it's Mitchell, but I am disappointed when I see a Mitchell if you don't have a chair or table blocking the sight lines for the first 5 rows. I always thought her style could work for opera unless she decides to cover the performers in tablecloth.

Am I imagining that there used to be an opera forum on here a few years ago? It wasn't that busy, but still nice to pop into.

#3 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

any falling sand? random dancing?

#4 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members