9 replies to this topic

#1 musicals fan

musicals fan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

We were booked to see this at the Charing Cross theatre but have received an e mail that it is closing after the performance on 16th March.

Does anyone here have any information on this decision?

#2 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3392 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

are spekulation involved with this show? if so it could explain it and looks like theyve gone bust

#3 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

I don't think they are. Anyway, we don't know what happened - don't jump to conclusions.

Dear World doesn't seem to have achieved very good ticket sales, which is a shame as I really enjoyed it. Betty Buckley has done so much promotion for the show too, especially on radio & they are having free Q&A sessions next week.

But it seems that despite all this effort they just can't fill the theatre.

But they've had a decent run for a small show, maybe the original plan was over ambitious?

#4 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

I know there are plenty of discounts around but a huge amount of  punters will have been turned away by the prices. £42 premium and £35 standard is pretty steep for a tiny fringe theatre - significantly more that for their other shows.

#5 alec_e10

alec_e10

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

As others have said I guess it is because of poor ticket sales. I went a couple of weeks ago but on a discounted ticket. I was quite surprised though how full the theatre was, pretty full apart from a couple of rows at the back.
I enjoyed seeing Betty Buckley but have to say the musical is pretty odd and a strange story.

#6 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:55 PM

Was going to go a while back but the ticket price put me off. Don't think Speckulation are anything to do with this production.

#7 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

They've been using papering services too, so even if the house was looking healthy, the gross probably wasn't.

#8 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

I love off West End stuff but I had to Google the plot and it did look remarkably odd.

#9 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

Remarkably odd is a good description of the show - but in a good way!

#10 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

I saw this on Thursday (thought at £20 for a top price ticket I might as well give it a chance). Knew nothing about the show and ended up enjoying it. Yes, it is quite an odd show. The plot is just weird. However, I really liked the cast and found the whole thing strangely entertaining. Glad I got to see this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users