• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 ArtNouveau

ArtNouveau

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

Casting for The Weir has been announced and rehearsals start tomorrow 12th March. Will this be another 'Marmite' like Trelawney of the Wells? Who's going?

http://www.donmarwar...e/2013/the-weir

#2 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

I'm going. Back in '99 this play blew me away. It won the Olivier no competition. I'm hoping it has stood the test of time. The original cast was amazing but this one looks good.

#3 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

Great cast (I see Jim Norton, who I saw in The Weir in the West End, is in the other Macpherson play).

A good time to be able to use those late release tickets, I hadn't thought about going and wouldn't be able to bag a seat at this stage otherwise.

#4 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:55 AM

Definitely planning on going. Will be using the £10 front row tickets for it.

#5 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

Somewhat joyously, I just got a pair of front row stalls for April 22nd, with absolutely zero hassle through the website. VERY chuffed with that.

#6 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

You will not be disappointed, folks. This has stood the test of time. Josie Rourke has the measure of this piece and has made it lighter than I remember. But no loss of the chill factor!
I love this play and think it is a classic of the future. But it does need a delicacy of touch. No probs here.

Brian Cox smashes it in  key role of the old guy [ played by Jim Norton, the Conor McPherson regular, in original production] and Dervla Kirwan gives what you would expect, an excellent performance, holding in the  emotion, then letting it out. She was less stunned than the actress who played it with Jim Norton. And for the life of me I can't recall who that was. For once my programme library has failed me. [ Someone put me out of my misery] Peter McDonald is very good as the bar owner, Ardal O Hanlon v good and Risteard Cooper who, from the prog notes appears to have stayed in Ireland for his career so far, is a bit of a discovery. Just when you think he is hamming it a bit, he pulls out of the bag a brilliant telling of his 'story'. Something to see.

No interval, 1hr 40mins.
Note, super sound in this show - a ticking clock comes in as they fall silent each time. V effective.
I won't say more cos don't want to spoil it for first timers.

#7 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

Michelle Fairley

#8 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

Thanks. Did you see her?

#9 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

Nope- was only 3yrs old then. Seeing this on  Wednesday, looking forward to it muchly.

#10 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

I thought so, didn't want to presume. Would welcome your input then , on how you see this play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users