49 replies to this topic

#11 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:51 AM

Seeing it tonight and can't wait. Saw the original production when it was at the Duke of Yorks years ago. I was in the back of the upper and it blew my mind then. Seeing it from the front row tonight is going to be awesome.

#12 Mr Todd

Mr Todd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

Another Donmar show without an interval. Their bar and ice cream takings must have totally collapsed (Caesar as well).

#13 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

Well that was a bit stressful - had a ticket in my basket but then it wouldn't let online transactions go through. Not sure if this was a general problem. Anyway, sorted with the help of a nice man on the phone and got a nice stalls seat :)
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#14 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

Another Donmar show without an interval. Their bar and ice cream takings must have totally collapsed

Don't they keep the bar open after the show when there's no interval? I know they have done in the past.

#15 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

They are flogging the choccies with a programme for a fiver but that isn't a bargain.

#16 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:33 AM

Oh my word. What a glorious production of this fantastic play. Beautiful set, spot on performances (apart from a wandering accent from Cox). I was right against the wall at the end of the row in front row stalls. Initially a touch concerned that I would have 100 minutes of looking at the backs of heads, it's been staged so well that I didn't miss anything. They have built the stage out slightly so the front row does feel VERY close. No complaints though, in a play this intimate, you need to feel like you're sitting in the pub with them.

Packed house, standing room and all. Loved it.

#17 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

I was there as well last night.  Were you on the right side or left side, popcultureboy?  It seems like the left side (auditorium wise) near the wall might have a slightly obscured view because of the way the bar was built.

And, yes, it was a great show, wonderful cast, all 5 of them. I thought Brian Cox was magnificent in his last story about the wedding - truly heartbreaking. And a special word for Ardal O'Hanlan as Jim, not the showiest part but he was pitch perfect at every moment.

Before the show started the lady behind me was telling her friend that the play was "supposed to be spooky".  I'd heard that too.  It turned out not to be - The Veil was much spookier though not nearly as good a play. The ghost stories really just set the stage for Valerie's story and the play builds wonderfully to that harrowing tale, beautifully delivered by Dervla Kirwan. McPherson is famous for his monologues and rightly so but what impressed me more than these set pieces was the banter, the small talk through which, almost incidentally, we get the entire lives of the characters laid out before us. It's craftsmanship of the highest order.

BTW, why is this play called The Weir?  A weir is mentioned, there's a tiny picture of it on the wall, but it has only the most tangential role to play in one of the stories.  Perhaps it's a metaphor?  If so it went by me.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#18 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

I was on the right side, by the door. Had Brian Cox's cigarette practically in my face for the whole of the Ouija board story.

#19 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

Ah, yes, the Luigi board. Great stuff.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#20 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

That title The Weir has puzzled me for almost ten years and I thought I had a handle on it with this production the other night. But hey, the way the title slips away from me reflects the way the stories slip about, the way the water is supposed to be under control for the area but water...? Slips away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users