49 replies to this topic

#21 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3745 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

Sorry to say that I wasn't blown away by this. It's undeniably well acted by the whole cast, and I was touched by Dervla Kirwan, who admirably underplays the emotion when telling her tale. But it left me cold. Is it the play? I'm not sure, as the writing - the dialogue and description at least - is very good. Perhaps it's the fact that the stories themselves never really went anywhere. They struck me as run of the mill ghost stories.

I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and say it may have been down to being in the circle (something which isn't usually a problem). You need to be as close as possible for this one I think.

Anyway, I was disappointed as I had very high hopes. It's a play I've wanted to see for a long time.

In other news, Charles Spencer was in the house- he was rocking back and forth with great laughter half the time it seemed.

#22 zahidf

zahidf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

I enjoyed the acting and i thought the cast were great

However, the play is a bit boring plot wise.

#23 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

However, the play is a bit boring plot wise.  

There isn't a plot. I didn't find it remotely boring.

Press night is tonight. Wonder what the reviews will be like for it.

#24 zahidf

zahidf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

View Postpopcultureboy, on 25 April 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

There isn't a plot. I didn't find it remotely boring.

Press night is tonight. Wonder what the reviews will be like for it.

Well, to clarify a bit more, nothing was resolved and there was little tension. I really liked the dialouge and acting, and i'm glad i got the cheap front row seats, but i wouldn;t rush to see it again.

I was in an emotional mood recently over a girl though, so that may have coloured my evening.

#25 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

PN2, well Charles Spencer loved it! It might be an age thing. I'm not being patronising but my son didn't like it, not at all. Not just the slow pace but the fact that these people are so def on the downward run.
Anyway, what I wanted to say was , did you read the Whingers? Yes the phone rang during Brian Cox's last speech and he stopped the performance. A phone had also gone off when I saw this, during a less important passage but just missing the big one from the woman. Sooo please can someone get the Donmar to get a grip. You must have an announcement. MUST. At the Children of the Sun last night, big announcment, no phone going off, there in the Lyttleton, bigger, more people, more or less same load of people [ open to argument but theatre goer types ]
At the Donmar they mutter to you as you give in your tix at bottom of the stairs, useless point of contact as you are heading to the bar, the loo, looking for freinds, etc etc.

#26 Stevemar

Stevemar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

View PostLynette, on 23 April 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

That title The Weir has puzzled me for almost ten years and I thought I had a handle on it with this production the other night. But hey, the way the title slips away from me reflects the way the stories slip about, the way the water is supposed to be under control for the area but water...? Slips away.

Looking forward to seeing this in a couple weeks. With reference to Lynette's post and Mallardo's query, I noticed the following explanation in the Evening Standard review:

"Though there is reference to a local weir, it is the pub itself that inspires the play’s title — a place where the waters (of life, of memory) are controlled and released."

#27 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

So what's all that 'bout the picture on the wall? Interesting. I forsee many an essay.....

#28 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

I guess McPherson thought The Weir was a better title than The Pub.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#29 william demarest

william demarest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

There are standing tickets available right now for several dates in mid-May if anyone is interested.  Available on the ATG/Donmar booking site.  I just picked up one myself.

#30 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

Thanks for the heads up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users