• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 Mr Todd

Mr Todd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:16 AM

Well they seem to have taken on board the issue of mobile phones going off - they were wandering around as people were taking their seats last night asking people to please check that their phones were switched off. Didn't stop one going off behind me in the stalls though. At least it was muzzled fairly promptly and Brian Cox didn't have to throttle anyone.

I loved it - I'd heard it some years ago on Radio 3 and didn't really get it into it on the radio back then - I think you need to be there with them in the same space as the stories are told. I'd forgotten quite how frequent the use of the f-word was in it.

#32 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

Excellent news re phones.

#33 theatrepaul

theatrepaul

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

The brilliant set coupled with the intimate setting of the Donmar makes you feel you are in the pub with these people. The writing is rich with detail, with brilliant lyrical timing & pauses and the acting is top notch from the entire ensemble. I was sitting in the front row a few feet from the actors and it gave me goosebumps. It is brilliant in every way & one of the best things Ive seen in many visits to the Donmar.

#34 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:16 AM

Phone news: the "please take your seat" announcement now reminds about phones

A brilliant production - Cox is great and I was also amazed by Dervla Kirwan.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#35 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

Trying to transfer but cast availability issues, why don't the donmar think of this beforehand?

#36 Rooster Byron

Rooster Byron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

Very much enjoyed this... although had a phone issue right at a pivotal moment. Cox shot daggers at the guy and continued.

#37 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:28 AM

Phone news: the "please take your seat" announcement now reminds about phones

A ha! They told me they couldn't do this, no tannoy system. I gave up trying ...like they didn't care that it was ruining a brilliant show.

#38 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

Trying to transfer but cast availability issues, why don't the donmar think of this beforehand?

Maybe they can't? There's never any guarantee a Donmar production will be enough of a success to warrant a transfer, so I imagine it's not something they can think of beforehand. "Before we offer you this role, Mr Cox, can you just clear your diary for the rest of the year, you know, just in case?"

#39 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

I agree - they should be getting the best cast they can for the Donmar run, not doing it with one eye on a transfer.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#40 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

They won't be able to transfer until August at the earliest as that is when the few available playhouses are free. I wonder if they could do a double bill with The Night Alive should that prove successful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users