Jump to content


The Weir At Donmar Warehouse


  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

The ideal home for this would be the Duchess and that's booked until the end of the year. Is The Night Alive another short play then?

#42 Jon

Jon

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

View Postpopcultureboy, on 13 May 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

The ideal home for this would be the Duchess and that's booked until the end of the year. Is The Night Alive another short play then?

Not sure about The Night Alive, I'm assuming it is a short play but I could be wrong,

#43 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

Crikey for me this was about as mediocre as theatre gets, what is all the fuss about??
I don't think it helped I was sat in the circle, how can such a tiny theatre have terrible sightlines?
If you didn't manage to get tickets for this don't worry you really aren't missing much.

#44 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1214 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:31 PM

Well, I was not familiar with the play but  completely underwhelmed by it. Great performances on a great set but I felt the play went nowhere and didn't build sufficiently to anything like a satisfying climax I was expecting. Running time 1.45 minutes without an interval and those benches at the Donmar are uncomfortable - especially if you are not engrossed by the play. I have an inkling that a lot of people "do" the Donmar as it's the trendy thing to do but had they had an interval in this - I think there would have been a few empty seats after. A case of the Emperors New Clothes for me I am afraid. Thank goodness it only cost me £10, but the sight lines in the first row of the circle at the side are dreadful with the handrail cutting across your vision, that the seat is not worth any more quite frankly.

Needless to say I have no intention of booking for the next play The Night Alive by the same author.

#45 Coated peanut

Coated peanut

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

I was somewhat underwhelmed by this and couldn't quite get the hyena like laughter bursting forth from some of the crowd. Yes, yes, he did drink from a bottle. No, it's not 5 minutes worth of intense laughing funny. A chuckle, if you must, but not side splitting, tour de force laugh tracks.

Solid acting, some interesting bits, a few people nodding off in the 10 seats...

#46 Latecomer

Latecomer

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1664 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Oxford

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

Loved this one from my £10 bargain front row seat. great performances, everyone very well cast and no phones.

#47 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

View PostLatecomer, on 08 June 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

Loved this one from my £10 bargain front row seat. great performances, everyone very well cast and no phones.
Saw the matinee on the last Saturday of the run. Completely agree with your comments. I enjoyed this play. One of my favourite plays yet this year. I had a mobile phone though, right in the middle of Dervla Kerwin's story. Turned off very quickly, I admonished the culprit on the stairs on the way out... and if that was you and you post on here, then I am not sorry at the strength of my language or message.

#48 Latecomer

Latecomer

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1664 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Oxford

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

View PostThe Glenbuck Laird, on 09 June 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:


Saw the matinee on the last Saturday of the run. Completely agree with your comments. I enjoyed this play. One of my favourite plays yet this year. I had a mobile phone though, right in the middle of Dervla Kerwin's story. Turned off very quickly, I admonished the culprit on the stairs on the way out... and if that was you and you post on here, then I am not sorry at the strength of my language or message.

No not me!!! Sorry had forgotten until you mentioned it...as it was switched off pretty quickly! I do think their reminding us to turn phones off was a bit rubbish....ushers didn't seem much motivated...just sort of dashed in and out with quick asides. Wouldn't have take 2 mins for someone to stand in the centre of the stage a minute before they started and ask clearly to switch phones off!
Glad you told them off!!!
I was front row behind table near to entrance to the pub. Luckily table was nice and low and did not interrupt sight lines.  
I loved the bar man.... hope he gets together with the woman.... and wasn't O'Hanlon good....and Brian Cox , in fact all of them!
Does make me want to go and see the next one!

#49 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

View PostLatecomer, on 09 June 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

No not me!!! Sorry had forgotten until you mentioned it...as it was switched off pretty quickly! I do think their reminding us to turn phones off was a bit rubbish....ushers didn't seem much motivated...just sort of dashed in and out with quick asides. Wouldn't have take 2 mins for someone to stand in the centre of the stage a minute before they started and ask clearly to switch phones off!
Glad you told them off!!!
I was front row behind table near to entrance to the pub. Luckily table was nice and low and did not interrupt sight lines.  
I loved the bar man.... hope he gets together with the woman.... and wasn't O'Hanlon good....and Brian Cox , in fact all of them!
Does make me want to go and see the next one!
The barman, Peter McDonald, was Aston to Jonathan Pryce's Davies in the Liverpool Everyman/Trafalgar Studios production of The Caretaker. Thought he was very good in that also. Aston's soliloquy is a favourite of mine, and I loved the way Peter McDonald delivered that speech.

#50 mallardo

mallardo

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:18 AM

View PostThe Glenbuck Laird, on 09 June 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

The barman, Peter McDonald, was Aston to Jonathan Pryce's Davies in the Liverpool Everyman/Trafalgar Studios production of The Caretaker. Thought he was very good in that also. Aston's soliloquy is a favourite of mine, and I loved the way Peter McDonald delivered that speech.
  Agreed.  I remember his performance well.  That was a wonderful production - as is The Weir.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users