236 replies to this topic

#11 Priscilla's heel

Priscilla's heel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

I've booked to see this in May, really looking forward to seeing Ben Whishaw as I've always wanted to see him on stage.

#12 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostFrom 03 January 2013 - 05:52 PM:

Oh, I didn't realise the role had even been offered to Judi. I was under the impression it was written with Walters in mind from the off.

I also thought it was written with Julie Walters in mind. But I interpreted Boob's post as claimiing something different. I don't believe what s/he seemed to imply without seeing some evidence!

#13 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Tickets are hot for this! Just seen Privates on Parade and lots of empty seats on a Sat eve. It just goes to show the power of star casting. Dame Judi could sell out a theatre reading the phone book. I suspect this is the sort of play that would never have got off the ground unless she has agreed to do it. The Audience is another one - without Dame Helen - no chance.

It is great to see a star of course but only in good material - that's one occasion when theatre is thrilling. But watching them use all their abilities trying to sprinkle stardust on a stinker is not so good.

Rowan Atkinson is starring in Quartermaines Terms (soon into town). This, no doubt selling well on his name with the audiences expecting, if not Mr Bean, then an all out comedy. Oh, are they going to be disappointed with the play which is one of the most boring pieces I have endured. I suppose a producer, keen to get a star onstage must approach them and say "is there anything you want to do?" knowing full well that whatever they say will sell and make money but some of their choices - oh dear!

#14 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Nicholas Farrell and Ruby Bentall, amongst others, joining the cast for this. V pleased about this; Farrell was devastating in The Browning Version last year, and Bentall I remember being v impressive in Mike Leigh's Grief at the NT the year before that,

#15 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

View Postwickedgrin, on 14 January 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

Tickets are hot for this! Just seen Privates on Parade and lots of empty seats on a Sat eve. It just goes to show the power of star casting. Dame Judi could sell out a theatre reading the phone book. I suspect this is the sort of play that would never have got off the ground unless she has agreed to do it. The Audience is another one - without Dame Helen - no chance.

But John Logan's Red and Peter Morgan's Frost/Nixon were both very successful without Dames Judi or Helen (or Eileen or Harriet come to that). Perhaps you mean that Peter and Alice and The Audience might not have risked opening cold in large West End theatres without these two actors.

#16 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

I know only a short run but Constellations in the West End from the RC didn't have stand out names. It had good  press and word of mouth. In other words if it is good - and I quote - 'they will come'.

#17 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1234 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

View Postwickedgrin, on 14 January 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

Tickets are hot for this! Just seen Privates on Parade and lots of empty seats on a Sat eve. It just goes to show the power of star casting. Dame Judi could sell out a theatre reading the phone book.

What were the audiences like for Madame de Sade ? Plenty of tickets available as I recall despite The Dame's presence.

#18 Angram

Angram

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

I have a £10 ticket available for Saturday 4th May 2.30pm - full details in ticket exchange section

#19 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 15 January 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

What were the audiences like for Madame de Sade ? Plenty of tickets available as I recall despite The Dame's presence.
I recall the audience was full but bemused.

#20 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

Had to rebook this for a Monday night ( invited to a 'do'the Sat I had booked) so now am worried that Dame Judi will make Monday her understudy evening if she feels a bit poorly. A risk ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users