236 replies to this topic

#111 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

So how much do you pay in Yorkshire? Blooming pricey in London.  Don't give up on us. If you post something about a show or a play you will get a sensible response...won't she/ he, you guys?

#112 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

View PostLynette, on 20 March 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

So how much do you pay in Yorkshire? Blooming pricey in London.  Don't give up on us. If you post something about a show or a play you will get a sensible response...won't she/ he, you guys?
I've seen lots of shows in London for a tenner or so!And there are tours of Hairspray and Phantom at £45 plus and with booking fees.Lots of my posts on the Musicals forum,don't worry.I don't mind a bit of banter.But it has to be a special kind of play,like Jerusalem,to attract me.Or a mindless comedy.I think I'll give Peter and Alice a miss!

#113 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1667 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

I agree people have been rather snippy of late....but there are lots of us nice people out there watching with frowns of disapproval when they take it too far!

#114 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

Sorry but I found them terribly annoying. I don't think that just because they are fictional characters, they had to be so irritating. They seemed amateur compared to everyone else.. Inexperience I imagine.

#115 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

View PostLynette, on 20 March 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

We will be nice! I'm not sure how sensible my responses are but they should be friendly, I'm not here to snipe at people.

#116 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:22 AM

View PostKathryn2, on 20 March 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

The way they were played seemed intuitively correct to me, anyhow. Certainly seemed like a conscious choice had been made to play them that way, rather than being 'bad acting'.

I haven't seen the play - are they played by children ? Child actors in the (legitimate) theatre are almost always useless - your heart always sinks when they come on in Winter's Tale or King John with their stilted drama school delivery.

#117 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 21 March 2013 - 07:22 AM, said:

I haven't seen the play - are they played by children ? Child actors in the (legitimate) theatre are almost always useless - your heart always sinks when they come on in Winter's Tale or King John with their stilted drama school delivery.
Seen Matilda? Or for that matter the Slinger Macbeth? Children can be powerful actors. Nothing to do with age.

#118 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3378 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

I agree i dread kids coming on stage too (and yes ive seen matilda). The only time ive seen kids really act and ive felt emotion is billy elliot

#119 Snciole

Snciole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

I went because *whisper* I've never got the Dame Judi love. I'm afraid after seeing this I still don't. She was good, as was Ben Whishaw and Derek Riddell, but not exceptional. I sense, at 25, I have missed her best.

I paid £12 for really awful seats as well, so I missed anything that happened on the right hand side (which is maybe where it got exceptional).

It was just a very meh play considering the actors and the subject. I feel like the subject of Alice was done far better by Dennis Potter's TV and film adaptations of her story and like they were holding back about the subjects. Either through fear of being sued by estates or because there wasn't much to tell.

#120 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

what are back row stalls like? I have V12. I was always going to see this considering the cast but equally also feared the play would be a bit thin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users