236 replies to this topic

#141 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

Last Saturday (before press night) there was a queue round the block at 10.45ish, and the person at the front of it got the last dayseat. Then a big returns queue before the matinee. Not sure what time you'll have to arrive or anything, but I think demand has been (and is) high.

#142 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

I wonder, does the audience noticeably divide into fans of Ben Whishaw, fans of Judi Dench, acolytes of Michael Grandage, lost boys, mathematical geniuses, bewildered foreign tourists, etc? I'd love to see Ben Whishaw live on stage but some of the other ingredients of this show deter me.

#143 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

There was a big queue for returns last night - thankfully since my mate cancelled at the last minute so my extra ticket was gratefully received.

The play is a big nothing unfortunately though well acted by the leads. Nicholas Farrell & Derek Riddell are wasted in it however.

#144 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1780 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

I think it's going to be one of those shows that the critics love and the public doesn't. But it won't stop them queuing up to find that out.

#145 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:18 AM

I loved it and I'm not a particular fan of either of the leads. No standing ovation when I saw it so it may be the case that therest of the  audience was less enthusiastic (though any foreign tourist would have had to be well-organised to get tickets as it sold out some time ago I think).

#146 lesterf

lesterf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

I was really bored by the play.If Dame Judi had not been in this I am pretty sure the theatre would be half empty.She did have some amusing lines and was definitely a presence.But the other actors,particularly Ben Wishaw,were stumbling lines with far too much frequency considering it has been going now for nearly three weeks.

#147 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

I was bored (from a cheap seat). Great sets and staging but the play was very thin. This would never have been produced if they had not got Judi Dench in it. Thank goodness I did not pay more than £10! Did some of the critics see the same play as I did?

#148 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

I fell into the bored camp, I didn't even think the sets were up to much, like a regional panto. I just kept thinking what a waste of Dench and Whishaw. I sincerely hope this isn't her theatrical swansong. The 80 minutes dragged and dragged and it was relentlessly bleak. Full on moaning at the blog http://www.frontrowd...rd-theatre.html
www.frontrowdress.com

#149 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

Front Row Dress - completely agree with your blog review for this. The Telegraph and the Guardian gave it 4 star reviews though especially about the play. I must have missed something, to me it's like the Emperors New Clothes!

#150 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

Saw this this afternoon. Thought it was touching and the acting is great. First time seeing Judi Dench on stage.
She seemed to have a bit of a cough at some points and she took a drink offered by Whishaw at one point also. Was it part of it? Acted through it greatly.
Lots of cheering and whistling with some standing ovations at the end.
Middle of the play felt a bit samey but the ending was moving and after seeing Finding Neverland at Curve last year, I realise they might have romanticised JM Barrie/ Peter a bit in the musical. Set is great and I think it's clever in moments too.
I like Delfont Mackintosh programmes but this is the third time I've seen the Rowan Atkinson and Haydn Gwynn interviews now, though.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users