236 replies to this topic

#151 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

And the seats in the balcony were wide, comfy and had ample leg room so I was impressed with that. Better than the dress circle at the Noel Coward as I seem to remember having near-excruciating leg ache for Gatz - although that was around 8 hours long!
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#152 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

The Gavin Millar film with the Hensons, Dream Child, had some very touching things to say about the grown up Alice. That could have made a substantial stage play. I wonder if Mouse Grahame ever went into that same bookshop - he would have had some something to say as well. Though Toad was not particularly based on anyone, the fate of Grahame's son was similarly dark as with Peter and Alice.

#153 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

View PostMonteverdi, on 31 March 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

The Gavin Millar film with the Hensons, Dream Child, had some very touching things to say about the grown up Alice. That could have made a substantial stage play. I wonder if Mouse Grahame ever went into that same bookshop - he would have had some something to say as well. Though Toad was not particularly based on anyone, the fate of Grahame's son was similarly dark as with Peter and Alice.

A more likely visitor is Christopher Robin Milne who ran a bookshop himself and who also had a love-hate relationship with his alter-ego.

#154 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

yes there's a bigger play, even a musical to be written here.....Toad, Peter, Alice, Christopher......

#155 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

View PostMonteverdi, on 31 March 2013 - 06:31 PM, said:

yes there's a bigger play, even a musical to be written here.....Toad, Peter, Alice, Christopher......
  The real Swallows fell out with Arthur Ransome so they could come along too. I suppose the poor Winslow Boy didn't find out he was used in a play but maybe his family could be in it. Stalky and Co were real schoolfriends of Kipling I think.  It could be a sort of Assassins but about Literary Prototypes.

#156 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

Saw this yesterday matinee and really rather liked it, the play is bit thin at times and you kind of know where it's going and without great leads you'd probably be lost but I loved the acting. Judi Dench regressing back to childhood was actually believable, which I don't think i'd have thought possible if i hadn't seen it and Ben Whishaw was i though perfectly cast, he does troubled vulnerability so well. I liked the set and overall premise and after reading thoughts on hear was pleasantly surprised though going with low expectations probably helped. My mum was in awe of seeing Judi Dench and declared it a privileage to be there.

On a differnt note sat behind lady with most unhelpful hair piled up on head obscuring my view, spent my time leaning from side to side to see (i was back row so it wouldn't have effected anyone behind), otherwise was good it was such a cold day as i had extra clothing to sit on.

#157 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

Anyone day seated on a Saturday recently?
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#158 CAA

CAA

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

Is it really a play?  For me it never really got going.  The actors do there best but a bit of a let down.

#159 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

I'm not usually one to stage door, but anyone know what this one is like after matinees?

#160 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

Just back home in Manchester already, after today's matinee. i can't quite understand  some of the low key reactions to this, some doubtin whether it was a play at all, and that it was too wordy. what! A magnificent play, a spectacular witty visual treat, and both very funny and utterly moving. Maybe because I am in the business of creating characters I don't know but I was marvelling at some very astute thoughts about the nature of creating, of relationships, and of loss. I wept on several occasions, the first when Barrie's father made a certain sacrifice. And then I was quietly weeping from the on.  Full of gorgeous imagery and staging, and the scene of the three couples dancing was both appropriately absurd and terribly moving. Lots of big names in the audience this afternoon, but what a joy to see this play, from the second row, and to be utterly transported and made to think and moved. I was so close as to see the real tears welling up in both Ms Dench and Mr Wishaw's eyes. Thank you Mr Grandage and Mr Oram. A privilege to see sch art and to see all the extras you do in connection with the production. Classy, intelligent theatre.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users