#191 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:44 PM

Saw this last night - complete yawn fest.  Adults that morn their childhood should b shot not given 90 mins in the west end. Thank The Lord for the woman next to me who kept falling asleep and shouting - without her distraction I may have boo'd

#192 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1220 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:04 AM

Opinions are divided on this. Some have raved about it on this thread. But I was bored. Thank goodness I only paid £12. Although a short piece it seemed to go on forever. Without Judi Dench this would NEVER have been produced.

#193 Cat6

Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:21 AM

Not a lot of good reviews this morning. Did anyone get up and leave? I realize there is no intermission.

#194 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

View PostMrs Lovett, on 05 May 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

Saw this last night - complete yawn fest.  Adults that morn their childhood should b shot not given 90 mins in the west end. Thank The Lord for the woman next to me who kept falling asleep and shouting - without her distraction I may have boo'd
  Did you not know what it was about before you went? It was widely advertised as being a dialogue between two adults mourning their childhood. To criticise it because of the subject matter, rather than because the subject matter is poorly executed, is a bit like complaining because Macbeth has too many murders. As an aside, would I be right in assuming that you aren't very far from your own childhood? Maybe revisit the subject matter in 20 years time and see if you feel the same?

#195 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

You have hit the nail on the head there - macbeth DOES have too many murders!  
I try not to read reviews before I go see stuff so no I didn't know what it was about.
How far does one have to be away from ones childhood to appreciate this drivel then???? It was a long time ago that I watched an episode of Blue Peter

#196 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

I try not to read reviews before I go see stuff so no I didn't know what it was about.

There's not reading reviews and then there's being uninformed.

#197 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5139 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

I wondered the other day if Grandage first thought of and then engaged the actors he thought would put bums on seats, make waves blah blah, and then found plays to put them in. Looking more and more like that. I know there is often a correlation between who you've got and the plays but I haven't been impressed with the choices so far.

#198 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1220 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

Yes, I think with a commercial play a vehicle is found for the star name you have available or a play gets produced because the star name wants to do it and the producer thinks "it doesn't matter about the play because I have X in it - it will sell". Usually a play is found and THEN cast but commercially I think it is often the other way round.

#199 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

View PostLynette, on 06 May 2013 - 09:22 AM, said:

I wondered the other day if Grandage first thought of and then engaged the actors he thought would put bums on seats, make waves blah blah, and then found plays to put them in. Looking more and more like that. I know there is often a correlation between who you've got and the plays but I haven't been impressed with the choices so far.

Well, Lynette, A Midsummer Night's Dream and Henry V are both written by a wellknown, often produced playwright and only three cast members have been announced between the two plays, so I don't think they match your theory. Michael Grandage previously successfully directed Privates on Parade in the tiny Donmar so he obviously likes the play and wanted to show it to a much wider audience. He also successfully produced John Logan's earlier play Red at the Donmar, and transferred it to Broadway, so Peter and Alice is a continuation of his John Logan premieres, and the ideally suited casting of Ben Wishaw and Judi Dench for these two roles allowed it to be staged in a large West End theatre rather than somewhere small and niche like the Donmar.

The reason for many people's disappointed reactions to Peter and Alice is that they booked to see it on the strength of: "Oooh! Michael Grandage! Oooh! Judi Dench! Oooh! Ben Whishaw!", with no thought at all as to whether they had the slightest interest in the actual play!

#200 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5139 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

HG I think you are deliberately missing my point. Quite easy to think, o Jude Law, yes he's done the Bard before, he can learn the lines, let's ask him if he would like to do another. And maybe we can ask him to remove his shirt like he did at the donmar. Twitter still all a twittering over that one. And Jude says yes, i like Julius Caesar cos I done it at school ( sorry, Jude, just making a point, don't be offended)

And announcing the cast is surely an art learnt at the feet of PR gurus in business school?

I didn't know about the Logan connection. But you're not not gonna tell me that people bother to look up the play ( often not published in advance) when the Dame is mentioned? The Dame just gets booked, the old telephone directory joke. Foolishly people think that if  she is in it it must be good.
O and directing a play again cos you like it? Producers go for this do they? Or do they not go for 'and I've got Simon Russell Beale of course!' Or maybe, ' I've got Simon, now what to put him in...o yes I can do that old chestnut again, very west end and people won't all have seen it at the Donmar'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users