#21 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

View PostLynette, on 21 January 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

Had to rebook this for a Monday night ( invited to a 'do'the Sat I had booked) so now am worried that Dame Judi will make Monday her understudy evening if she feels a bit poorly. A risk ?

What a slur on an old pro! There's less chance of the understudy crashing into the set or falling off the stage. Is Adele singing in this?

#22 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

Barring illness Dame Judi will do every performance. She is of the old school of theatre performance - 8 shows a week, that's the job ,never let the public down. Many younger performers in the WE should take note!

#23 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

Not prejudging this one, but the publicity material says:

"In John Logan's remarkable new play, enchantment and reality collide as this brief encounter lays bear the lives of these two extraordinary characters." whereas based on the facts of her life Alice Liddell Hargreaves doesn't appear to be an extraordinary character at all ... well, maybe it will play up the enchantment and reality collision to generate a bit of drama.

#24 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

"Enchantment" is perhaps to be expected, given the setting, but is normally a word which would warn me off, along with "lyrical", "poetic", "magical realism" and the like.  So I shan't attempt to book until I've read reviews.

#25 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

View Postfringefan, on 22 January 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

"Enchantment" is perhaps to be expected, given the setting, but is normally a word which would warn me off, along with "lyrical", "poetic", "magical realism" and the like.  So I shan't attempt to book until I've read reviews.

Yes, I agree with you, but you will find it is almost sold out already because Dame Judi is in it - certainly no cheap seats to be had.

#26 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

When I was rebooking there were seats in the stalls, at the back mind you, on quite a few dates.

#27 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

I asked at the box office if they had any 10 tickets left - apparently all sold out. Not checked this online though. Day seating it is - they were great seats for POP.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#28 paultheatre

paultheatre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

View Postwickedgrin, on 22 January 2013 - 12:01 AM, said:

Barring illness Dame Judi will do every performance. She is of the old school of theatre performance - 8 shows a week, that's the job ,never let the public down. Many younger performers in the WE should take note!

Perfect eg. Luke Treadaway in forthcoming transfer of CURIOUS INCIDENT: from the NT website:

"Luke Treadaway will perform on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays."

The role didn't look that arduous to take two nights off a week.

#29 RedRose

RedRose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

View Postpaultheatre, on 23 January 2013 - 01:24 AM, said:

Perfect eg. Luke Treadaway in forthcoming transfer of CURIOUS INCIDENT: from the NT website:

"Luke Treadaway will perform on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays."

The role didn't look that arduous to take two nights off a week.

Maybe he is filming on the other days.
King Lear (NT), Twelve Angry Men (Garrick),  Mojo (Harold Pinter), Coriolanus (2x, Donmar), Henry V (Noel Coward), Strangers on a Train (Gielgud), Fortunes Fool (Old Vic), Punchdrunk's The Drowned Man (Temple Studios), Jeeves and Wooster (Duke of York's), 1984 (Almeida), Red Velvet (Tricycle), Bring up the Bodies (Swan), Wolf Hall (Swan), The Mistress Contract (Royal Court), Versailles (Donmar), Blithe Spirit (Guilgud), Jane Eyre (Bristol Old Vic)

#30 Cat6

Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 15 January 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

What were the audiences like for Madame de Sade ? Plenty of tickets available as I recall despite The Dame's presence.

In my experience, I had the very last row (against the back wall, behind an aisle running parallel to the row) of a sold out show for Madame de Sade near the end of its run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users