Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

View PostAlexandra, on 06 May 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

It is a bad play.

I was interested in the subject and outline of the play - and I would love to see Ben Wishaw live, in a play which I'm interested in - but I had qualms about whether I would actually enjoy this play, so I waited for reviews and for informed comments like Alexandra's, and the outcome is that I shan't be attending.

I think Michael Grandage pulled off a brilliant coup by announcing five plays and only seven actors, and inducing hordes of people to  immediately chirp away about how marvellous the casting was, etc., etc., without considering whether they might actually have any interest in the plays or who the other seventy-odd actors might turn out to be. As Lynette says, publicity is an art!

May I add that I think it's a very worthwhile season, and I believe that all the plays were chosen on their merits, and not just as star vehicles for one or two lead actors.

Also, I like the Latecomer approach of being open to new unknown things, which may or may not turn out to fascinate you. This is very different from attending a play advertised as being about two childhoods and then berating it for being about two childhoods.

#212 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

I saw it this week - thought it was very beautiful and moving, don't understand all the negative reviews here.

#213 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

Thank you HG, but it's only my opinion as you know. I complained about Lynette expressing a trenchant view on the Miss Julie thread so perhaps I should have been more qualified here.

#214 Carlos

Carlos

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

I really enjoyed the production, and I'm still shaken by it. "Enjoyed" is not a very good word, as I was basically very touched and moved by the story. I had a teary eye at the end and I could hear someone else sniffing around me. The audience response was quite good as half of it was on its feet at the end of the play. I see that responses seem polarised around Peter and Alice. I think I agree with those who say that maybe a certain maturity and experience in life is required to be able to relate to it. Many people, as they grow old, tend to regard the early days of their lives with a pang in their heart. Infancy reminds them of all the suffering that little by little seeped into their life: the disappointments, the losses, the personal tragedies. That makes them wistful about the wonder/neverland left behind and which, to a certain extent, is more imaginary that real, as nostalgia tends to lend enchantment to the past. The play also seems to remind us that for all the idealisation surrounding childhood, it is also a time when we try the fruit from the tree of knowledge and begin to notice the subtleties in the world around us. It's a time when innocence begins to be lost. I'm not sure I was clever enough to express what I felt and understood about the play, but anyway, I rather liked it. Having said that, I have a feeling this is an extremely difficult play to put on and that, in the hands of a less expert, dazzling team of artists, it could be a complete disaster. It takes a great level of delicacy, elegance and subtlety to stage it successfully. I suppose it's not something an inexperienced company should try.

#215 Cat6

Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

View PostMrs Lovett, on 06 May 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan meet in a book shop and have a natter is how it was sold to me. I assumed it would mainly based on what happened to them as adults.
It's weird I'm getting hate because I didn't know what it was gona b about! Am I the only person that likes to be surprised?!?

This is all I knew about it when I got the tix. I'm seeing the show on Thursday. :-) I am looking forward to seeing Dame Judi's Alice.

#216 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:42 AM

View PostAlexandra, on 06 May 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

It is a bad play.
It's not a bad play. It's a play which seems to divide audiences. But it is certainly not a bad play. If HG chooses not to go because you say it's a bad play, I'm sure there'll be people very glad of the ticket.

#217 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

To be honest I was partly responding to your bullying of Mrs Lovett. I withdraw the suggestion that it's a bad play - there are far worse. And Dench and her catchy voice of course squeeze every bit of heartbreak out of it that there is. But it's just not a very coherent piece in my view, and left me completely unmoved, despite not being a callow youth and therefore incapable of empathy according to some of you. I'm glad I didn't queue up early for tickets for it. But I'm happy for those who liked it.

#218 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

To be honest I was partly responding to your bullying of Mrs Lovett

Bullying? Oh come come.

#219 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:40 PM

So-
I did buy tickets to this play the day they went on sale coz u could buy cheap tickets to the whole season and not have to pay a booking fee. I didn't know what it was gona b about and I'm sure the creatives would be horrified that people on here r implying u have to b a certain age to get it.

In saying that-
Maybe I shouldn't have said I felt it was a 'yawn fest'. In my foolishness to want to entertain I prob didn't think out that some people would have genuinely been touched by this play and my flippant comments were not helpful nor constructive criticism.

In conclusion -
Don't criticise shamelessly middle class plays (and don't start light hearted posts on booing) lest u upset old people! Obviously I jest!

#220 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

:lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users