It is a bad play.

#222 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

Bit out of date with your yoof-speak there, I understand "sick" is a more modish adjective now.

#223 peggy sue

peggy sue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

Saw this play yesterday and really enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. The whole cast were very good especially Ben. It was very moving at the end and admit I shed a few tears. I dont very often go to the stage door after a play but I did yesterday and managed to get Ben's autograph who was lovely and unasuming and happily stayed for anyone who wanted to see him. Would highly recommend this play.

#224 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:29 PM

I went to SD after seeing the show & managed to get Ben's autograph too. What a very shy and humble person he seemed to be.  I may have got this wrong but he seemed to be stunned that people wanted to meet him. I really did enjoy it and the ending was quite emotional.

#225 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:02 AM

Ben Whishaw seems genuinely nice.  At the Baftas he didn't do a "I don't deserve/didn't expect this" speech but did seemed genuinely flustered at the idea of winning and having to give a (in the end lovely) speech.  A friend of mine once drank with him at a bar and he was apparently easy to get on with.  What's the old phrase about the kind of person you'd bring back to your parents or something?  He's that.  And to me, one sign of a great actor is someone who can shine in slightly lacking pieces and in my opinion he did that here, in Cloud Atlas and in The Hour, so in all mediums.  He's also the perfect candidate for a film about Nick Drake, should one ever be made.  I'm not his agent, I just slightly wish I was so I could point him in the direction of better material than this.

#226 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

I rather liked this one. I sat in a circle box and felt like I was royal! Perched just above the stage we were really close and I loved seeing Judi and Ben but also thought the others excellent. I liked the clever way it was written, with all the bobbing about in time, and it was genuinely interesting to see how it unfolded. I came home and read round the subject a bit more. I am very glad I saw it! Oh and Judi and Ben seemed genuinely rather teary at the end when taking the applause...or maybe they are just very fine actors! :)

#227 Cat6

Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

Latercomer, yes, they were a bit teary-eyed, weren't they? Given the closing, how could they not be? I don't want to go into detail, but it seemed like a three-barrelled teary ending. The audience was subdued, too. Truly a touching play. Very glad I saw it. Lucky you got a box! Sitting in the tight seats, I was wondering how to get a box for future plays I may be lucky enough to attend.

#228 Lou105

Lou105

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

Thanks to TheatreMonkey advice we sat in one of the "corners" of the Dress circle (extreme ends of front rows) and found them very good for the price.

#229 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

View PostCat6, on 24 May 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

Latercomer, yes, they were a bit teary-eyed, weren't they? Given the closing, how could they not be? I don't want to go into detail, but it seemed like a three-barrelled teary ending. The audience was subdued, too. Truly a touching play. Very glad I saw it. Lucky you got a box! Sitting in the tight seats, I was wondering how to get a box for future plays I may be lucky enough to attend.

Lucky as they announced this perfromance a lot later, and I'd had to give my bargain £10 seat to someone else due to illness, so I nipped on and booked and boxes were available so I treated myself and a friend whose ambition was always to sit in a box! She loved it!

#230 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

I'm going with what seems to be the majority view - a not very strong play, performed bloody well. I'm glad it was only 90 mins long otherwise I would have started to get squirmy. Would certainly be playing to a nightly audience of three without the gold-plated cast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users