236 replies to this topic

#71 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

Saw this on Saturday and sad to report that from my position on the front row, it appeared to be a lemon.  A tedious lemon at that.  Mixed reactions on twitter, with quiet a few people swayed by the star power I'd say.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#72 Ruperto

Ruperto

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:48 AM

I saw this last night and didn't like it much at all. Was great to see Whishaw on stage (who's very good) and Dame Judi (who's as you'd expect) but if I was being generous I'd say the play was ho hum and inconsequential. If I wasn't being generous I'd say it was very duff indeed.

It starts quite well, with a spiky encounter between the two in what looks like the back room of a bookshop, but then the scenery all changes and... well, I don't want to spoil it for those who are going, but for me, it seemed to be a cumbersome attempt to mix and meld some of the Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan themes/text/imagery in a way that didn't work for me - and that maybe makes it sound more dramatically thrilling than was the case! So the real-life inspirations for Alice and Peter were haunted and dominated by their fictional counterparts, and Carroll and Barrie were troubled and possibly unsavoury characters... it all felt very familiar.

However, my wife thinks I'm being very harsh! Got a good reception - some people around me gave it (or Judi and Ben) a standing ovation...

#73 Ruperto

Ruperto

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

As a postscript, we were in 2nd row of the stalls. I like being right down the front but the stage seemed very high. There didn't seem to be much of a rake for the first few rows. I don't know if they're selling front row seats for full price without a warning about the height of the stage, but if they are, I think that's a bit naughty.

It ran for exactly 90 minutes - we were out at 9.05pm.

#74 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

Will the Last of the Summer Bond and New-Q fans be satisified? New-Q made the movie for me.

#75 Cat6

Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

So, when a play's already open does the writer or director make changes to it? I know this happens during previews. But this is officially open, isn't it?

#76 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

No it is still in previews. Press night is later in March.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#77 Cat6

Cat6

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

It will be interesting to read how much this changes from now till then. It sounds like it has some good bits, and the idea is good. I have tix, so I'm going no matter what :-)

#78 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

"As a postscript, we were in 2nd row of the stalls. I like being right down the front but the stage seemed very high. There didn't seem to be much of a rake for the first few rows. I don't know if they're selling front row seats for full price without a warning about the height of the stage, but if they are, I think that's a bit naughty."

They swore to me the stage wouldn't be made higher as in to collect the rain for P on P. B*****

#79 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

View PostCat6, on 13 March 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

It will be interesting to read how much this changes from now till then. It sounds like it has some good bits, and the idea is good. I have tix, so I'm going no matter what :-)
I enjoyed this much more than I thought. It was really clever and I am sure loads went over my head. Looking forward to receiving my play text

#80 johng

johng

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

Just had a call from their box office saying would I like to change my front row seats for Cripple of Inishmaan and Midsummer Night's Dream as the stage may be too high, so it looks as if it's not being lowered for the whole Grandage series, and they must be getting plenty of complaints.  Interestingly no offer to change for Peter and Alice (which I'm seeing tomorrow).  I will probably not change as I like being close and for Privates on Parade was not as bothered as some others about the stage height (although it was the highest I've experienced from the front row)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users