236 replies to this topic

#81 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

Interesting. I did change my tix for these after seeing PonP but they couldn't change for Peter and Alice so for this I I have front row. V annoying as I booked so early in the first place. I will call them, have a moan. You never know. I do think it is a cheek to do this, ie charge a whacking full price, in this case over £50 for dud seats. Someone will say theu didnt know but after the first show they should haev known. So much for the catching the water excuse for a higher stage.

#82 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

no dice
no tix available unless I upgrade to the £80 + midweek end of run

#83 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1283 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

Sorry but if you book the front row(s) your asking for trouble. I have no sympathy...!

#84 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

Fra

View PostMrBarnaby, on 15 March 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

Sorry but if you book the front row(s) your asking for trouble. I have no sympathy...!
But most West End theatres have perfectly acceptable front rows with good views.  I sit in them all the time.  In this case they have apparently raised the stage.  To charge full price for that is wrong.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#85 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1283 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

Stage floors are always being built up.. Sometimes they don't know by how much until many seats are sold.. So why book front rows if your all going to get hysterical when you can't see Judi's feet?!!

#86 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:52 AM

There are few complaints of a high stage when the front row is a ten pound day seat. When it's a full price stalls seat it's another matter.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#87 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3375 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:29 AM

mr barnaby thats a slightly arrogant view. majority of theatregoers simply expect (quite rightly) if they are paying top price they will get an unobstructed view.  yes some stages are high but they are plenty that are not too, and the average theatregoer is not going to be aware that stages are built up, why should they be. they pay for a product they expect to get value for money.

#88 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

I think the point is that if the cost of the seat is the highest bar the silly premium price seats , the expectation is that that seat is a good'un. At the Lyttleton the front few rows are cheaper cos they are more squashed , though sometimes they are a bargain, it depends on the play. In this case the front row is full price but has been found to be not the best view. I found this for Privates on Parade. The theatre box office told me that for this show the theatre had a raised stage to catch the water used in the rain scene. Box office moved me to a good seat in row H.  They said the stage would be lower for the rest of the season. This was not true as we can see they now are offering alternative seats for these other shows to people with front row seats. [ was told there is now a lady in the box office whose job is to do this]  But they don't have any alternatives [ except the premiums] for the Judy Dench. So despite the fact that I booked yonks ago, I am disadvantaged as people who booked later obviously have seats further back but which are in fact better seats.

#89 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

Ah, but Lynette, you have to remember that you are a regular theatregoer prepared to fork out for an expensive ticket, not a new punter willing to gamble a tenner, and therefore obviously of no interest to Mr. Grandage. (It might be worth dropping him a line though...)

#90 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

Most people in the stalls benefit from a higher stage because their view is less obstructed. I saw The Audience from row F and everyone had an obstructed view unless they were significantly taller than the person in front, in which case of course the person behind them had a blocked view. Most stalls seats in most West End theatres have obstructed views for most theatregoers. That's the main reason (apart from the ticket prices) why I never go to West End theatres unless there's something I would really regret missing. Raising the stage is much better for everyone except the front row(s), although it ideally requires a steeper stage rake, which is hard on the actors and inappropriate for realistic set designs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users