236 replies to this topic

#91 exuberantlyblue

exuberantlyblue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

Saw the matinee today, from the £10 seats in Row V of the stalls. I was quite impressed that the entire row showed up, even though I'm sure we all booked in June of last year! There were a few empty seats in the rows ahead, though.

I went into this expecting it to be underwhelming, from some things people had said, but actually I enjoyed it. I knew the basic bits of the history - i.e., who the real Peter and Alice were and what had happened during their childhoods - but I didn't know what had happened to them when they grew up. Without spoiling things, let's just say that the audience was laughing a LOT during the first half of the play and not so much near the end.

85 minutes - started at 2:35, let out at 4 exactly. Programme £4, 50% the exact same as Book of Mormon and The Audience. I now have Rowan Atkinson's interview about being back on stage in Quartermaine's Terms in three separate programmes. Is this usual? I guess I often go to smaller theatres like the Donmar and don't tend to see shared programme material.

Anyway, this is tightly acted and thought-provoking. A great group of actors - not just Dame Judi and Whishaw, the rest of the little company doesn't really put a foot wrong either. Ruby Benthall was I thought particularly nice. And the set looked fantastic to me. It's not an instant classic or anything, but I had an enjoyable afternoon. Worth every penny of my £10, anyway. ;)

Oh, one thing I was going to ask - from Row V, the top bit of the stage was cut off by the overhang. (For context, I could see the bottom of what I think were ribbons hanging down at one point.) Did we miss anything higher up? I think I remember Dame Judi looking up at one point and I didn't know if she was just gazing off into the distance or if there was something up there.

#92 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

Re the programme's shared content - yes it's normal. Back in the day you could impress your companion by knowing all the answers to Sheridan Morley's Theatre Quiz because you'd seen it 6 times that month...

#93 hotshot

hotshot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:15 AM

View Postexuberantlyblue, on 16 March 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

Oh, one thing I was going to ask - from Row V, the top bit of the stage was cut off by the overhang. (For context, I could see the bottom of what I think were ribbons hanging down at one point.) Did we miss anything higher up? I think I remember Dame Judi looking up at one point and I didn't know if she was just gazing off into the distance or if there was something up there.

You missed some chinese lanterns to set the scene as Judi went back to her childhood.

I managed to grab some returns and sat 5 rows from the stage..amazing..loved it..but thought that it ended on a downer when i had expected something more light hearted and playful! However, am glad i managed to get to see it!

#94 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1404 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:40 AM

I enjoyed the play even though it got darker and more tragic as the play progressed, I did like the use of using the fictional Peter Pan and Alice and using actual lines from both books to reflect what has gone on in both their lives. The only real gripe was the portrayal of JM Barrie and Lewis Carroll although I think Barrie is portrayed more sympathetically.

I did a bit of reading on both the real Peter Llewelyn Davies and Alice Lidell and found that Peter was a cousin of Daphne Du Maurier who wrote Rebecca.

#95 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

View PostJon, on 17 March 2013 - 02:40 AM, said:

I enjoyed the play even though it got darker and more tragic as the play progressed, I did like the use of using the fictional Peter Pan and Alice and using actual lines from both books to reflect what has gone on in both their lives. The only real gripe was the portrayal of JM Barrie and Lewis Carroll although I think Barrie is portrayed more sympathetically.

I did a bit of reading on both the real Peter Llewelyn Davies and Alice Lidell and found that Peter was a cousin of Daphne Du Maurier who wrote Rebecca.
Daphne Du  Maurier's father was the first Captain Hook.

#96 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:27 AM

View Posthotshot, on 17 March 2013 - 01:15 AM, said:

You missed some chinese lanterns to set the scene as Judi went back to her childhood.

I have noticed here that when actors get referred to by their first names it is best not to criticise them.

#97 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

:lol:  On a roll today, Epi.

Why have I gone all small?

#98 AnnieInTheStalls

AnnieInTheStalls

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

My balcony seat was surprisingly comfortable, enabling me to have a nice 20 minute snooze. Judi Dench was being very Judi Denchy.

Rather perplexed by the amount of whooping and ovating at the end. I must have missed some fabulous action in those 20 mins.

#99 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2091 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

Yes, I think you missed the full-on sex scene between the two leads.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#100 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

View PostAnnieInTheStalls, on 19 March 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

Judi Dench was being very Judi Denchy.

You mean delivering exactly the same performance she has delighted us with for the past 30 years ? If it ain't broke don't fix it, say I.

(Just a small experiment Xandra)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users