#61 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:38 AM

View PostLover, on 16 April 2014 - 11:31 PM, said:

Fiddler on the Roof and Beauty and the Beast also went to Cork a few years ago.

My apologies i didnt know that, its been a while since tours have gone to cork though. I have only been following tours the last 2/3 years and no show has gone to cork in that time but before that i cant comment so my bad sorry.

#62 MusicalJamboree

MusicalJamboree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:56 PM

musicalmadness, on 16 April 2014 - 08:37 PM, said:

Saw the cast perform It Sucks To Be Me & If You Were Gay at the Olivier's (Covent Garden Piazza) on Sunday. Whilst I enjoyed it as I am a huge lover of Avenue Q, it has lost a bit of something for me. There was something about seeing 'downgraded' versions of the puppets and not the ones we got to know and love from the W.E production that made it lose some spark. It also occurred to me how much one loved seeing the actors (Julie Atherton, Simon Lipkin, Jon Robyns and Daniel Boys are just some names that popped out at me thinking back to my various trips!) as well as the puppets, and whilst Avenue Q is not about who is in it and it's great that a load of 'unknown' names are being used for the tour, it also felt a bit weird. There was also some sub-par puppetry (specifically the synchronization of the movement of the puppets mouth and what was being said/sung) that made it lose some more magic. Usually Avenue Q would be the show that goes down the best with the audience in these outdoor musical theatre events (huge laughs, singing along, big cheers), but it definitely didn't feel like it this time.

However, having said all that - it's great that the tour is selling so well and I'm sure it will be hugely enjoyable. At least I hope it comes across that way.

Yeah I wouldn't go to town on this performance - I'm pretty sure these guys need all the credit they can get - to be expected to do all of that during rehearsals is such a massive responsibility. Daniel Boys said that the puppetry is so much harder than it looks!

Also, they are brand new puppets I read somewhere that Paul Jomain is making them brand new for this production. Personally I don't think changing the branding of Avenue Q's logo was a wise move for this tour but nevermind. It is what it is, so I agree with you there. But the puppets certainly weren't downgraded they just look slightly different but still look incredible. Paul maintained and eventually replaced the Original puppets on the W.E so I'm sure if anyone is to make them, he's the man.
He also made the new set for the last tour that went out.

Dont judge it till you've seen it is what I'd say. Pretty sure Jacqueline Tate wouldn't do it again if it wasn't going to be good!?

#63 MusicalJamboree

MusicalJamboree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:16 PM

Also I think we all need to remember that this is a brand new production. They aren't pretending to be anything but that

#64 musicalmadness

musicalmadness

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:28 PM

I totally agree with all replies to my comments, but I was only passing opinion on a performance that they were happy enough to put on stage at the Olivier Awards (albeit the Covent Garden Piazza stage). I should say that some of the stuff I mentioned (look of puppets and who was performing etc) is only my personal view, and possibly not one held by the majority! As for the puppet skills, I can only imagine how hard it must be - and then it's probably harder than that! But as I said - they were happy to perform as they were (in whatever stage of rehearsals they were in) in front of a very large crowd, so I can only go by that. Great publicity for them, I should imagine - and I think it worked!
Somebody crowd me with love, Somebody force me to care,
Somebody make me come through, I'll always be there, As frightened as you, of Being Alive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users