76 replies to this topic

#31 exitstageright

exitstageright

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:musical theater, Broadway, travel, movies, TV, books, hiking

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

Avenue Q is definitely a show that works well in a smaller setting.  I remember when the original production transferred from Off-Broadway to Broadway, even a lot of people who really liked the show complained that it was TOO intimate for B'way (not that I ever fully bought into that argument myself, but I do think it's suited to a small space).

Brooke

Sympathy Jones:  The New Secret Agent Musical
www.sympathyjones.com
Sympathy Jones:  The New Secret Agent Musical
www.sympathyjones.com

#32 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:32 PM

To be honest I don't really think it matters where you see it, I enjoyed it for the very first time I saw it, mid-stalls at the very large Birmingham Hippodrome, and I also loved it when I saw it again the following year at the mid-sized Belgrade in Coventry from the front row!

#33 Lover

Lover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:15 AM

You should have seen it at the Welsh Millenium Centre. . . . ! Looked like a dolls house sat in the middle of a warehouse. However saying that - the audiences loved it!

#34 PaulR

PaulR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

I saw this last night and thought it was fantastic. I enjoyed it more than the west end version I saw 6 or so years ago. It definitely suits an intimate space. I wasn't expecting anything as professionally done, as this was, in such a small venue with such cheap ticket prices.

#35 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

Just a note to say that the show closes at the end of June, and all shows are sold out bar two additional performances that have just been added. An afternoon matinee on Saturday the 29th, and a special late night performance starting at 22:15 on the 28th, ending at half midnight  (the theatre is on two night bus routes).

#36 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:11 AM

Hmm, the question is whether I try to get in for that 10.15pm performance or not. It would get me home around 3am, so probably a touch unrealistic.

#37 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

Despite my initial reluctance to see this I am so glad I managed to catch it, it was a ball from start to finish and the intimacy made it all the more enjoyable. There were small changes from the West End version and the set was perhaps a bit ropey but otherwise superb and at times I totally forgot this was a fringe production above a pub. Will Jennings, Leigh Lothian and especially Josh Wilmott have promising careers ahead.

#38 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

According to WOS, Avenue Q will be revived for a two week run in April/May in Greenwich before embarking to a UK tour: http://www.whatsonst...d=homepage_news

Fortunately, I happen to be in town in early May anyway, so I'll definitely be seeing it then.
"If you want to get the girl of your dreams, all you gotta do is change your personality beyond recognition and wear lots of tight leather apparel." - Rydell High School, School Motto.

#39 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:34 PM

Great news. I really do love this show. Hope I can find time to catch it somewhere.

#40 danieldabell

danieldabell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:34 PM

There's a version in Derby later this month for anyone interested.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users