Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

I had my first visit here and enjoyed a production of Dido Queen of Carthage by an enthusiastic young company. Sadly it was poorly attended and deserves better. However, they have just had a sell-out run of a 90-minute Hamlet which was highly spoken of.

The performance takes place on a wooden platform above the foundations of the original Rose, which are just below ground level of a modern building. The candle-lit waterlogged foundations form the backdrop and were used to good effect during the performance. The platform is the viewing area on visit days.

There are two rows of seats numbering about 50 or 60, on 3 sides of the performance area. It was freezing cold but they provide blankets. I didn't use mine but did need my coat and scarf on. The performers were in thin costumes and either barefoot or in ballet flats and must have been perishing but they were energetic so maybe that kept them warm.

It was atmospheric and in terms of Shakespeare heritage I enjoyed this experience much more than most of my Globe visits. I prefer the idea of preserving the site of the theatre and having performances there, than trying to reproduce/reconstruct the building and original practices etc. I'm eager to go back soon.

The BO staff were friendly, there's a tiny foyer with some heritage displays etc (not sure how they cram people in pre-doors when it's full as in the Hamlet) but no toilet so be warned you have to head 200m up the road to the nearest pub who apparently expect to get some Rose patrons doing this and are fine with it.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#2 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

Yes, nice little venue but you need to be prepared for the loo situation!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#3 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

Yes, I don't like to venture below the belt in posts but by the time I arrived at the Rose I was in very urgent need of the gents. So when pretty much the first thing the charming BO man said was "We don't have any toilets..." I almost started crying. And the pub in question isn't very obvious from the street, you have to veer off into a courtyard to find it.

Anyway, ahem - all was fine.

#4 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

There's the Globe for loos as well. I don't know what the relationship between  the two is but I doubt the Globe would lose out by offering them some free publicity - perhaps they could suggest  to their returns queues that there's a another Shakespeare theatre 2 minutes walk away.

#5 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:06 PM

Although any Rose patrons wanting to use the Globe toilets will have to cross their legs until May won't they?

#6 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

View PostBackdrifter, on 14 March 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:

the charming BO man said was "We don't have any toilets..."

I suppose no showers either? How exactly would you describe the odour of his charming BO?

#7 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

View PostBackdrifter, on 17 March 2013 - 11:06 PM, said:

Although any Rose patrons wanting to use the Globe toilets will have to cross their legs until May won't they?
Doesn't the bar open in the evening? The website is silent on the subject and I'm never in that area unless seeing a play  but I'd have thought it would still be fairly busy. I'm always surprised at how few of the patrons seem to be there to see a play (or even to be aware that there's a theatre attached)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users