43 replies to this topic

#11 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

The Finborough takes some beating especially as it doesn't have a bar.

#12 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

I haven't been to the Finborough in years. I remember when it had not only a bar but also a restaurant. With a really cute toothy Australian waitress.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#13 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostBackdrifter, on 19 March 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

I haven't been to the Finborough in years. I remember when it had not only a bar but also a restaurant. With a really cute toothy Australian waitress.
The bar changes hands every few months and is currently empty - they invite you to get a carry-out from the newsagent next door which isn't terribly convenient if you want a glass of wine or less than 4 cans of beer. It's a shame as they do lovely productions but it's now a very unattractive venue.

#14 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

Does the newsagent take interval orders :lol:
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#15 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 19 March 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

It is an almost uniquely barren and uninviting area for a theatre to be located, I can only think of Wiltons Muscic Hall which competes with it for charmless urban desolation.

I think this is a little harsh.  As above, there are various chain restaurants and shops along the road at the o2, others down the hill towards Belsize Park, a large branch of Waitrose quite near the theatre (a sure sign of prosperity) and the transport links are nearer and better than for the Finborough - buses almost passing the door, a tube station on the doorstep and another just up the road and so on.  Plus the little street market outside the theatre.  The area surrounding the Finborough, in contrast, really does seem benighted to me, though there is a shopping parade about 5 mins' walk away and the Earls Court area is busy if not particularly attractive.

#16 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

There's also that pub near the Hampstead Theatre, can't remember what it's called, it's shaped like an Alpine villa
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#17 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

Epi you're nuts. And you obviously don't know the Swiss Cottage area. Wilton's on the other hand, a survivor of bombing and who knows what else is in a diff spot for grub so they sell decent buffet before a show in the theatre bar. And I think drinking is more a Wilton's thing....

#18 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

View Postxanderl, on 19 March 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

There's also that pub near the Hampstead Theatre, can't remember what it's called, it's shaped like an Alpine villa
  Give you a clue - there's a tube station named after it ;)

#19 vickster51

vickster51

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

There are quite a few options in the area once you know it. There is the usual fast food along Finchley Road between the theatre and the O2 Centre, together with Costa etc. There are 2 major supermarkets as mentioned and the options in the O2 centre itself. I've eaten alone in Pasticcio fine on Finchley Road too. The Odeon cinema by the Swiss Cottage pub also now has a bar/restaurant I believe.

If you have time and are prepared to factor in a bit further afield, then get off the tube at West Hampstead. Left of the tube station there is a pub and down the first left (Broadhurst Gardens) there is a nice Italian (Sarasinos I think). Turn right and walk along West End Lane for plenty of options. You can then either catch the C11 bus back up Finchley Road, walk down Broadhurst Gardens, which brings you out on Finchley Road or hop back on the tube for one stop to Swiss Cottage.

#20 Gavin

Gavin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

Also, if you walk all the way down to the bottom of Eton Avenue (about a 5-8 minute walk) there's plenty of nice food places on England's lane.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users