#21 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostBackdrifter, on 19 March 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

I haven't been to the Finborough in years. I remember when it had not only a bar but also a restaurant. With a really cute toothy Australian waitress.

Last time I went (Cornelius) it was a rather unappealing wine bar, having devolved (or evolved) from a more traditional pub format a while ago. Or possibly as Dilly says above, it is empty. I remember them sending me to the off-license on a previous occasion so it is quite possible it is back to that.

#22 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

View PostLynette, on 19 March 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

Epi you're nuts. And you obviously don't know the Swiss Cottage area.

True. And I aim to keep it that way. Terrible area. Full of the affluent 1%-ers barricaded in their mansion blocks. You are quite right to point out that the Finborough suffers from a similar local demographic. However, for Hampstead the true comparsion is with the Almeida, and there is no comparison.

#23 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 20 March 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

Last time I went (Cornelius) it was a rather unappealing wine bar, having devolved (or evolved) from a more traditional pub format a while ago. Or possibly as Dilly says above, it is empty. I remember them sending me to the off-license on a previous occasion so it is quite possible it is back to that.
The wine bar only lasted a few months. Before that it was a fairly grungey football pub. They now recommend you have your pre- theatre drink/meal at the Pembroke just round the corner, that older members may know from its previous incarnation as the Coleherne

#24 Chameleon

Chameleon

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

singapore garden is pretty good, and only 5 minutes' walk away.

http://www.singaporegarden.co.uk/

#25 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 20 March 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

True. And I aim to keep it that way. Terrible area. Full of the affluent 1%-ers barricaded in their mansion blocks. You are quite right to point out that the Finborough suffers from a similar local demographic. However, for Hampstead the true comparsion is with the Almeida, and there is no comparison.
Wiltons. I don't know Finborough. The Almeida is in Islington for goodness sake. One of the reasons it has flourished. Hampstead has done ok considering it is awkward to park. Oh, and I reject your analysis of Swiss Cottage. You really don't know it do you? Ne'er mind we can still be friends.

#26 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:27 AM

View PostLynette, on 20 March 2013 - 07:00 PM, said:

Wiltons. I don't know Finborough. The Almeida is in Islington for goodness sake. One of the reasons it has flourished. Hampstead has done ok considering it is awkward to park. Oh, and I reject your analysis of Swiss Cottage. You really don't know it do you? Ne'er mind we can still be friends.

No I don't know it, that makes me a better judge of how inviting an area it is to visitors. Honestly, before visiting the theatre there I checked several pub/bar/restaurant guides and came up totally empty - even in this thread people are saying you have to get on a bus to find anywhere decent. Although I'd been before I suppose I was partly disappointed that Hampstead Theatre wasn't in Hampstead. Still, good work by Ed Hall to induce me to go there with his cutting-edge new play programme of Shakesapeare and Chekov.

#27 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

On a Sat mat I like getting some delicious snacks from the food stalls outside the theatre, the Portuguese stall has some very tasty stuff. I too have wandered the surrounding streets and found them uninspiring food-wise. I remember a Polish place nearby on the main road I quite liked. Is that overpriced but pretty good Indian still there (out on to main road, turn right)?
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#28 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

I would estimate that between Swiss Cottage and Finchley Road stations there are at least 15 restaurants. It's no more deserted than, for example, the Old Vic.

#29 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

Yes there's plenty of choice, but I can't remember finding much of any interest. I'd be interested to give it another go, I haven't explored the area for a while.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#30 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 21 March 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

I would estimate that between Swiss Cottage and Finchley Road stations there are at least 15 restaurants. It's no more deserted than, for example, the Old Vic.

Yes, that's another one, but it is not a counter-argument just to keep comparing it with areas that are equally bad - it is poor in absolute terms, not just relative terms. Lynette normally cites the Barbican in this regard but that area is a gastronomic paradise compared with Swiss Cottage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users