43 replies to this topic

#31 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

There are loads of nice places in the Cut. Since you have said many time that you avoid the West End, I'd be interested to know where you do enjoy spending the evening, Epi

#32 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 21 March 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

Yes, that's another one, but it is not a counter-argument just to keep comparing it with areas that are equally bad - it is poor in absolute terms, not just relative terms. Lynette normally cites the Barbican in this regard but that area is a gastronomic paradise compared with Swiss Cottage.
Can't remember mentioning the Barbican so suspect a wind up Epi, but I hate the Barbican full stop.

#33 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 21 March 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

There are loads of nice places in the Cut. Since you have said many time that you avoid the West End, I'd be interested to know where you do enjoy spending the evening, Epi

Well, to name a few theatres in better areas than Swiss Cottage: Barbican, Almeida, Greenwich, Orange Tree, Lyric Hammersmith, Jermyn Street, Roundhouse, threesixty, Print Room, Donmar, BAC, Kingston, Royal Court, Tricycle ... that's without even thinking about it.

#34 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

Recent BBC4 tv documentary Heritage! The Battle for Britain's Past Episode 1 told how Octavia Hill, co-founder of the National Trust, was unsuccessful in her campaign to protect Swiss Cottage Fields from urban development, although she succeeded in protecting Hampstead Heath. I get shivers down my spine from places like Swiss Cottage where only remnants of the past remain. I can't cope with the City of London for that same reason. Soho House in Handsworth is well worth a visit in this context.

#35 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 22 March 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

Well, to name a few theatres in better areas than Swiss Cottage: Barbican, Almeida, Greenwich, Orange Tree, Lyric Hammersmith, Jermyn Street, Roundhouse, threesixty, Print Room, Donmar, BAC, Kingston, Royal Court, Tricycle ... that's without even thinking about it.
   Many  of those have far fewer reasonably priced eateries nearby than Swiss Cottage. I certainly concur with Lynette about the ghastliness of the Barbican.

#36 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 22 March 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

Many  of those have far fewer reasonably priced eateries nearby than Swiss Cottage. I certainly concur with Lynette about the ghastliness of the Barbican.

Where did I say I was looking for something "reasonably priced" ?

#37 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 22 March 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

And even if you were, you'd find them in all those places.

threesixty

Is that there all the time, then?

View PostHonoured Guest, on 22 March 2013 - 09:57 AM, said:

I get shivers down my spine from places like Swiss Cottage where only remnants of the past remain. I can't cope with the City of London for that same reason.
Bad shivers then. But don't you therefore get those shivers in most places you ever go to?

And wherever anything of the past remains, aren't they always, by definition, remnants?
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#38 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

Yes wasn't it interesting about Swiss Cottage Fields? I was sad to see what could have been but then most of what we now call London was fields once and the area round The Old Vic was renowned for brothels. So there you go: you win some and you lose some.

#39 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

Tell us what price bracket you refuse to go below and we will find you somewhere to eat in Waterloo or Swiss Cottage.

#40 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

About 100 for two excluding drinks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users