118 replies to this topic

#101 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:49 AM

Really enjoyed this last night - top notch performances by the whole cast and very funny. I can see why the reviews have said it's not usually played for laughs to this extent but I felt that worked because the darker moments happened with no real warning and suddenly the laughter stopped and it was quite unsettling.

#102 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:34 AM

Disappointed by this, mainly because my audience didn't stop laughing at all. I haven't seen this particular Pinter before and understand this version is playing up the comedy which ought to work as a contrast to what is actually taking place but my audience were beside themselves the whole way through and thus flattened the darker parts. It is difficult to be jolted by what is going on when the man in front of you has practically fallen over his chair because he finds it so funny, though he was on an actual chair so perhaps he was just not fortunate to get a padded one and was a tad uncomfortable.

Good acting, John Hefferman and Harry Melling in particular, felt SRB was rather over the top but it's obviously the way he's been told to play it. I spent the whole time thinking he'd be a lot creepier if he calmed down and stopped shouting, pretty sure show large parts of the audience considered him a clown figure and didn't really listen to what he was saying. But then maybe it was a new audience, it clapped a change of scene but there was an almighty silence at the end, i don't think it was awe rather not realising it had finished and turned out then i was too wimpy to start the applause.

Overall I suspect it's Jamie Lloyd's direction I don't like so will remember that for future. I'll admit i was in the minority though, rest of audience seemed pretty pleased.

My first time at the Trafalgar Studios and see what other people have mentioned already, using a toilet nearly involved climbing into it to shut the door, suddenly found myself thinking how spacious this expereince is at the Donmar, but this was then topped by the soap dispenser was projected soup straight out and all over my jumper rather than in the more usual hand direction. Was amused though by the audience member who had unseen crossed the small stage space to buy his icecream at the interval who was then made to return via the whole theatre rather than just recross to his chair.

#103 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

I quite enjoyed this in parts, some of the rambling was a bit too long. Lots to think about.
Some very fine performances.
I was less distracted by the seats on the other side thus time, could imagine they were all student doctors observing or something.

Due to protest/riots/massive police presence could not use nearby facilities before the show.
Christopher Timothy was at the bus stop after, I was quite excited but then my bus arrived. No one else seemed to notice him.

#104 Ruperto

Ruperto

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

Saw this last night and enjoyed it, though for some reason it didn't quite hit the spot. Some really good performances - for me, John Simm and John Heffernan stole the show, both utterly inhabiting their roles, down to the smallest mannerisms, the way they walked etc. SRB was great, but no surprises in terms of his performance.

It was funny, but not quite as funny as I'd hoped. Perhaps it was the fact it was so stylised and wordy, with lots of long-ish soliloquays, that meant that it wasn't quite as involving as maybe it could have been? I think that when it comes to very odd plays set in mental institutions starring John Heffernan, the Physicists wins out for me. But it was still a good night out, aside from my not terribly comfortable chair, which, I discovered, was nailed/glued to the floor when I tried to move it in an attempt to get a little less intimate with my neighbour...

However, there were quite a few empty seats - I wonder if the decision to make so many of the seats premium priced has backfired a little? Incidentally, it would appear they may have improved the programme - mine had some rehearsal/performance photos (earlier posters said theirs didn't)...

#105 RedRose

RedRose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

Has anyone day seated for this yet?
King Lear (NT), Twelve Angry Men (Garrick),  Mojo (Harold Pinter), Coriolanus (2x, Donmar), Henry V (Noel Coward), Strangers on a Train (Gielgud), Fortunes Fool (Old Vic), Punchdrunk's The Drowned Man (Temple Studios), Jeeves and Wooster (Duke of York's), 1984 (Almeida), Red Velvet (Tricycle), Bring up the Bodies (Swan), Wolf Hall (Swan), The Mistress Contract (Royal Court), Versailles (Donmar), Blithe Spirit (Guilgud), Jane Eyre (Bristol Old Vic)

#106 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

View PostRuperto, on 30 May 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

However, there were quite a few empty seats - I wonder if the decision to make so many of the seats premium priced has backfired a little? Incidentally, it would appear they may have improved the programme - mine had some rehearsal/performance photos (earlier posters said theirs didn't)...

Do you think I could ask to swap mine?

Incidentally, Jamie Lloyd has tweeted that he hopes to get the programme price down for the next production after someone tweeted him complaining. I hope that's the case.

RedRose: yes, I dayseated early in the run. Seats are in the boxes (view not bad for £10). You'd have got a ticket if you turned up at 10am, but I have no idea what it's like now.

#107 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

Worth seeing if I can get a £15 ticket?

#108 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

Yes, as long as you're near the front and not sitting 'on-stage'.

#109 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

Row G near enough?

#110 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

Bit closer if possible, but it would do. Are you U26? Because there are £15 seats (which now appear to be for U26 only) in the front row for tomorrow night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users