118 replies to this topic

#51 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5131 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

Shock indeed. Well, there you are. He can do all the big bard stuff but Pinter just ain't got that thing. Spect he was distracted.

#52 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2068 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:06 AM

Are we sure he wasn't just pausing?
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#53 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3741 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:47 AM

A Brechtian pause.

#54 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

View Postxanderl, on 10 May 2013 - 06:06 AM, said:

Are we sure he wasn't just pausing?

View PostPharaoh, on 10 May 2013 - 06:47 AM, said:

A Brechtian pause.
Not even a Pinteresque one. I mean, that's what we all thought at first but then he put his hands on his head, turned to the audience and came out of character to say 'no, sorry'. The girl on the book read out the line which he then asked her to repeat. Extraordinary. I saw him do The Alchemist and Galileo in rep without drawing breath. Lynette is right, it has to be the writing. Anyway, I don't think it'll happen again! And Spencer still gave it 4 stars.

#55 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

View PostPolly1, on 10 May 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

Lynette is right, it has to be the writing.

Why ? I've seen similarly famous actors forget their lines in Shakespeare and Ibsen, it can't ALL be the fault of the writer. Actually I think it happens more often than you think, but in Shakespeare they can fill in with some made-up stuff or rearrange the text without anyone noticing.

#56 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

but in Shakespeare they can fill in with some made-up stuff or rearrange the text without anyone noticing.

"That lovely line! 'There's rosemary. That's for remembrance'. You can't just bung a few herbs about and say 'don't mind me, I'm a loony'."

#57 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5131 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:46 AM

I feel horrid criticisng the writing of Pinter but let's face it, the repetitions etc lend thmesleves to memory problems but I know, I have heard cod Shakespeare and lots of textual errors over the years.

#58 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:08 PM

View PostLynette, on 10 May 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

I feel horrid criticisng the writing of Pinter but let's face it, the repetitions etc lend thmesleves to memory problems but I know, I have heard cod Shakespeare and lots of textual errors over the years.

What if the Shakespearean text is the error? After all, some of it is what the actors remembered :)

#59 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

I have seen actors forget their lines after having played the same part for more than a year. Olivier told a story once about playing Shylock, he had been very ill and had the stress of running the National. He said that as he was standing in the wings waiting to go on he realised he had no clue at all what he was going to say, he went on and the lines came to him, but only one by one as he got to them, he said it was terrifying. McKellen said that learning Waiting For Godot was difficult due to the nature of the play.

#60 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5131 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

View PostPoly, on 10 May 2013 - 12:08 PM, said:

What if the Shakespearean text is the error? After all, some of it is what the actors remembered :)
Absolutely and very funny some of the memories are; subject of a Phd I think!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users