#81 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

View Postpopcultureboy, on 14 May 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

Saw this last night. Very odd play. SRB was delivering all his dialogue at such breakneck speed that he often veered into unintelligible spuffling. The show was comprehensively stolen by John Heffernan.

I was there last night as well and completely agree with you. Was disappointed with SRB but very pleasantly surprised by both Heffernan and Simm.

Overall I enjoyed the play much more than I thought I would, while it was certainly dark it was also very funny.

#82 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

'Spuffling' -what a great word :) and I thought exactly the same. I wonder if it's partly nerves- he was almost as bad when I saw Deathtrap, also very near the beginning of the run but I didn't notice it at all in Collaborators which I didn't see until very late on.

#83 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

View PostPolly1, on 14 May 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

'Spuffling' -what a great word :) and I thought exactly the same. I wonder if it's partly nerves- he was almost as bad when I saw Deathtrap, also very near the beginning of the run but I didn't notice it at all in Collaborators which I didn't see until very late on.

I saw Deathtrap towards the end of the run and thought he was far better in that, so it may indeed have to do with it being the start of the run.

#84 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:01 AM

Totally agree about the programme - five quid for virtually nothing. Don't buy! Also don't get a coffee there - they boast about serving Starbucks coffee (which will put off most people who actually like coffee) but charge more for it than bloody Starbucks does. So essentially I was in a foul mood after three mins in the theatre and reminded why I stopped going to the Trafalgar Studios years ago...

But apart from that - this feels very different from the NT production of the same play - I don't remember a lot of laughs in that, and I left the theatre feeling very odd and disorientated. I didn't get so many chills from this, but nor did I think it was as hilarious as a lot of other people in the audience did - they are playing for laughs but not at the expense of the darkness, I don't think. All the cast (with the possible exception of Clive Rowe) were really on top form, esp SRB, J Simm and John Heffernan, though it probably won't go down as one of SRB's great performances. But I don't agree with the people who said that he may be struggling with Pinter's language - there was no sign that he wasn't completely in control of it here, and he was exceptional in the two short plays at the NT a few years ago.

So a brisk, strong production and would definitely recommend it - just don't give those buggers at the theatre any more of your money...

#85 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

View PostAbby, on 17 May 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

Totally agree about the programme - five quid for virtually nothing. Don't buy! Also don't get a coffee there - they boast about serving Starbucks coffee (which will put off most people who actually like coffee) but charge more for it than bloody Starbucks does. So essentially I was in a foul mood after three mins in the theatre and reminded why I stopped going to the Trafalgar Studios years ago...

If it's like the 'Starbucks' coffee they serve at the Donmar (also ATG), it's been ready made and they just pour it out of a flask into a cardboard cup and charge several quid for it. The cheek.

#86 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

View PostPharaoh, on 17 May 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

If it's like the 'Starbucks' coffee they serve at the Donmar (also ATG), it's been ready made and they just pour it out of a flask into a cardboard cup and charge several quid for it. The cheek.

That's exactly what it bloody was! Thanks for the warning about the Donmar, as I would have expected better there.

#87 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

And at ATG it's now the norm, it seems, to charge £4.50 for an ice cream, and £8.50 for a glass of vino.

#88 jean_hunt

jean_hunt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

Re SRB "spuffling" - I saw this on its second or third preview performance and there was no issue with his delivery then. It was fast - as was everyone else's - but he only tripped once ("ruffle" for "raffle", if memory serves), realised halfway through the word, said the right one, carried on. I had no problems with his clarity either, despite the speed. So I doubt it's anything to do with the show being early in its run. Maybe he was just having an off day?

#89 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

Not a splutter out of place. Great performance from all of them. Amazing how something written in 1958 comes up so fresh. I suppose because it is 'out' of normal everyday living. Anyway, worth the outrageous price I paid.

#90 jean_hunt

jean_hunt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

Yes - the prices are as steep as the rake in that auditorium!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users