- - - - -

West End Shrek The Musical Or The Little Mermaid!!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
76 replies to this topic

#11 Guest_Guest_Bob_*_*

Guest_Guest_Bob_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE(meerkat @ Jun 23 2009, 09:10 PM) View Post
By the way, I don't think it is fair to criticise posters spelling or grammar or typing errors. Not only do people's
educational experience and opportunities vary , there are also people with dyslexia or English as a second ( or third etc) language who may post.

In the case of the latter-in the words of Avenue Q...........How many languages do you speak?...........

I speak english, french and german fluently. I didn't wish to be mean- just pointing out something that you would expect english speaker to know. In regards to this discussion however, I would rather see Shrek than Little Mermaid simply because it looks like a better production. By the way, does anyone know whether Lion King is selling well?

#12 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:17 PM

I've listened to the CD pf Shrek and thought it was appalling - pittiful really. I think it's something the West End really doesn't need. Would like to see The Little Mermaid and think it replacing The Lion King would be a good idea. I think Lion King has run its course now. At least Little Mermaid has nice music!

#13 pixietrix

pixietrix

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:12 AM

Not a massive fan of Shrek the film, but i love the musical. Its by no stretch my favourite show, nor do i think it has the best score or story but it a lot of fun. I think its very cleverly done, costumes are amazing and people here would see it, especially familes. If the casting were right it could be great.

#14 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:03 AM

I wasn't that bothered about either. I've had the cd of Little Mermaid for a while and it sounds alright, but I'd personally prefer to see Aida or Hunchback in the West End if Disney want to replace Lion King.

I hadn't bothered with Shrek as I'm not a big fan of the movies. I found it on Napster the other day and had a listen though and I actually really liked a lot of the score. I'd really like to see if the production matches up to the cd now.

#15 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3378 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:25 AM

Ive seen both shows.

Shrek was boring and very poor.  It just didnt warrant being turned into a musical and the songs dont add anything and its just over long and slow.  The cast on the whole are very good (although im not a fan at all of Sutton Foster...urgh thinks she is far better than she is). Also (like Wicked) for a show about magic it lacks a lot of magic.

The Little Mermaid has SOOOO many problems, poorly directed, designed, choreographed etc etc. But, at the end of the day, I still enjoyed myself.  

I dont think either show will make it to London to be honest, especially as its looking likely Mermaid will close this year to make way for The Addams Family.

#16 pantostar

pantostar

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:24 AM

Thanks most people for you comments and thoughts regarding both shows!!!

I think London would be great to have shrek or the little mermaid over!!  there both feel good shows and with it being in the reccession now!!  we need feel good shows like sister act and prisscilla (which are both fantastic)

I do hope at least one of them will come to london next yr??
and I wonder who will cast them??
thanks everybody!! tongue.gif

#17 lucyloo

lucyloo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:38 AM

would love to see shrek come over here !

#18 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:29 PM

I would be happy if either of them came over smile.gif I have got both soundtracks and out of the 2 i think Mermaid is better then Shrek.

Shrek would bring in the audience as so many people like the movie, so they would come just to see it as it has Shrek in the name. The soundtrack is good, but the only songs i dont skip are Princess Fiona's songs, as i think they protray the character so well smile.gif But i think they have tired to hard to make Shrek funny when it was already funny.

The Little Mermaid i think would do the same as Shrek, it will bring in an audience just for the name, but i think it will be more successful then Shrek. With Mermaid, it has all the loverable songs that we know and love from the film, and the news songs seem to add to the feel of it all. Yeah some people have some problems with the design of the show and the direction, but that could be improved if the show came here, they can learn from there mistakes and make the show better. Also i think that it would be a good replacement for The Lion King, as i think it has run its time. If you think of the West End, you can name most of the shows that are playing there. So i think that even though Lion King is successful, they need pull it while it is still liked, maybe tour it to keep it popular, and let other newer musical have there time to see if they could work in West End or not. And also think a bit of Disney Fairytale magic is what could keep the blues away during the recession biggrin.gif

I would be happier to see Memaid come to the West End, but i would be happy to see both of them here smile.gif

Well thats what i think. Let me know if anyone totally disagrees with me smile.gif

#19 Guest_Guest_TOM_*_*

Guest_Guest_TOM_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:56 PM

Shrek opens at the Palladium October 2010...Sister Act closing june then going to Hamburg....

#20 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:41 PM

Neither!!! Can we have Next to Normal or [title of show] instead please?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users