38 replies to this topic

#21 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

Yes of course, Selfridges! I meant they looked John Lewis a la Now! or fifties in fact.. I'm rambling but I do like a good curtain.

#22 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

I love a good set but feel there is something lacking in the play or performances if I notice it - if that makes any sense. If I find my attention wandering to the curtains and thinking "oh they're nice" the play is not holding my focus!

#23 young offender

young offender

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

I saw this at the weekend and found it rather staid and protracted. Compared to the masterly economy of The Browning Version (about 75 minutes straight through), this runs for two and three quarter hours and it certainly feels like there's some slack in it.

A more adventurous production would have cut it by half an hour, but it has the reverence of Lindsay Posner’s last West End outing (Uncle Vanya). To me he’s become the Ron Howard of theatre directing – a safe pair of hands rather than an artist with real vision.

#24 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

View Postyoung offender, on 25 March 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

I saw this at the weekend and found it rather staid and protracted. Compared to the masterly economy of The Browning Version (about 75 minutes straight through), this runs for two and three quarter hours and it certainly feels like there's some slack in it.

A more adventurous production would have cut it by half an hour, but it has the reverence of Lindsay Posner’s last West End outing (Uncle Vanya). To me he’s become the Ron Howard of theatre directing – a safe pair of hands rather than an artist with real vision.

Re Posner, I'll take a safe pair of hands over the vision thing every day of the week.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#25 trafficlighttheatregoer

trafficlighttheatregoer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

View Postmallardo, on 25 March 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

Re Posner, I'll take a safe pair of hands over the vision thing every day of the week.

Aha, a director as "an artist with real vision" - that's a phrase to strike fear into any playwright, the director as auteur ... But that's a debate for another day ... But what did slow down and interrupt the pace down was the dead hand of a legal present coming down like an iron curtain every now and then.

I would liked to have seen the Philip Wilson Salisbury Playhouse and the Stephen Unwin Rose Theatre versions - did anyone see either or both? If so, what did you think of them?

#26 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

Was the 'dead hand of a legal present' the sound of the lawyers in the audience clapping?

#27 trafficlighttheatregoer

trafficlighttheatregoer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

View PostLynette, on 26 March 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

Was the 'dead hand of a legal present' the sound of the lawyers in the audience clapping?
:D

#28 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

View PostLynette, on 26 March 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

Very droll but what does  'dead hand of a legal present'  actually mean?

#29 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 26 March 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

... but what does  'dead hand of a legal present'  actually mean?

I don't know and can't guess what it means. My two stabs are that either:
(i) it signifies:"I'm very knowledgeable/informed/clever and my comment isn't addressed at you", or:
(ii) an errant predictive spelling has been left uncorrected.

#30 trafficlighttheatregoer

trafficlighttheatregoer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 26 March 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

Very droll but what does  'dead hand of a legal present'  actually mean?

Oo, re-reading it, it is a bit cryptic - the safety curtain came down several times during the play with the legal document (aka present) on it. It slowed the action down at moments when, imo, the play should have gathered pace.

View PostHonoured Guest, on 26 March 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

I don't know and can't guess what it means. My two stabs are that either:
(i) it signifies:"I'm very knowledgeable/informed/clever and my comment isn't addressed at you", or:
(ii) an errant predictive spelling has been left uncorrected.

Hi Honoured Guest,

Yes I  really am a pretentious, jumped up know-it-all ;) but hey as the Reader's Digest used to say, it pays to improve your vocabulary  ... Please forgive until the next time, I do the same thing ...  lol

Also tagged with Old Vic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users