10 replies to this topic

#1 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

Saw this Saturday night. We have a hot ticket here chaps and chapesses. This is very good. Jonathan Slinger at his best in the lead.

#2 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

Yay!

#3 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

Is Jonathan Slinger a hot ticket? I'm not saying he isn't very good but does anyone outside CV37 know who he is? I guess they are the target audience but it must be a long time since there was a major Hamlet so unknown to the general public or even theatregoers who don't get to Stratford. I'm not sure I would have heard of him if I didn't read this forum. Isn't it about time he moved out of his comfort zone and tried his luck in the big bad world outside the RSC?

#4 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 17 March 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

Is Jonathan Slinger a hot ticket? I'm not saying he isn't very good but does anyone outside CV37 know who he is? I guess they are the target audience but it must be a long time since there was a major Hamlet so unknown to the general public or even theatregoers who don't get to Stratford. I'm not sure I would have heard of him if I didn't read this forum. Isn't it about time he moved out of his comfort zone and tried his luck in the big bad world outside the RSC?
He has done non-RSC stuff and TV.

His Rii in 2008 is among the very best performances I've ever seen. I'm sure many who saw that London run will not have forgotten him.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#5 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

No one knew Ben Whishaw before he played Hamlet at the Old Vic but that didn't prevent it hot-ticketing.

#6 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

View PostBackdrifter, on 17 March 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

His Rii in 2008 is among the very best performances I've ever seen. I'm sure many who saw that London run will not have forgotten him.
I didn't say he wasn't a good actor. But his non-RSC career is hardly glittering (I've not heard of most of his tv credits and, unlike lots of forum members, I do actually watch tv). As for Ben Whishaw, his anonymity was the whole selling point of his Hamlet,   But I wish Mr Slinger well and hope that he really is the major stage star people think and that tickets will fly out the door though I think I can survive without it however good it is.  You might  be  interested in the interview with him http://www.guardian....let?INTCMP=SRCH

#7 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

View PostBackdrifter, on 17 March 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

Indeed.  One of the small disappointments of the "Glorious Moment" weekend was that once the R2 finished it was, to an extent, downhill all the way from there...

#8 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

Yes it did rather seem that way.

View Postarmadillo, on 18 March 2013 - 07:20 AM, said:

I didn't say he wasn't a good actor. But his non-RSC career is hardly glittering (I've not heard of most of his tv credits and, unlike lots of forum members, I do actually watch tv). You might  be  interested in the interview with him http://www.guardian....let?INTCMP=SRCH

Just to clarify, I realised you weren't questioning his acting. It's true his TV CV isn't particularly striking.

It might be that he'd love to establish himself beyond the RSC but can't.

Thanks for the interview link, I'll have a proper look at that later.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#9 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 17 March 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

Is Jonathan Slinger a hot ticket? I'm not saying he isn't very good but does anyone outside CV37 know who he is? I guess they are the target audience but it must be a long time since there was a major Hamlet so unknown to the general public

Rory Kinnear wasn't that long ago. The RSC have something of a tradition in casting Hamlet from company members with none of the TV exposure you say is so important, Roger Rees and Mark Rylance (first time he played it) for example.

#10 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 18 March 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

Rory Kinnear wasn't that long ago. The RSC have something of a tradition in casting Hamlet from company members with none of the TV exposure you say is so important, Roger Rees and Mark Rylance (first time he played it) for example.

http://goo.gl/wZWeI is interesting on the topic of Rylance.  Of course, twenty years' hindsight allows us to be wise after the event.

I thought that in fact the casting of Tennant as Hamlet was very much the exception to the RSC's general policy, and prior to that you had to look back to Branagh in 1992 for a real big name Hamlet.  Mind you, after Toby Stephens and Sam West's casting, you might say that if you don't have a big telly history, it helps if your parents do...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users