• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

Heads up for this play, currently at Scarborough, heading into the St James. Terrific piece of writing and great cast, particularly Faye Castelow as Ruth Ellis. Simply staged (in-the-round at the SJT and New Vic) but real 1950's period style. Not a bundle of laughs, but gripping and well told "back-story" to the hanging.
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#2 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

I read a rave review from an earlier venue (I think), so was keen to see this; almost at the same time, xanderl posted a great deal for preview performances at the St James Theatre, so I rushed to book and am looking forward to seeing it.  (Hope it's so good that I forget about the cramped legroom - think that will have to be my litmus test for the St J in future!)

#3 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

1 hour 50 mins including an interval and the time flew by in the comfortable surrounds of the Stephen Joseph! Hopefully the legroom won't be a problem. Playscript programme too at £2-50.
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#4 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2094 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

View Postfringefan, on 17 March 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

I read a rave review from an earlier venue (I think), so was keen to see this; almost at the same time, xanderl posted a great deal for preview performances at the St James Theatre, so I rushed to book and am looking forward to seeing it.  (Hope it's so good that I forget about the cramped legroom - think that will have to be my litmus test for the St J in future!)

Thanks for reminding me about the offer - forgot to book for myself with it!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#5 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

I posed this q on other thread - is it the St James with cramped leg room? Or Jermyn St or both? Need to know.

#6 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2094 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

St James has cramped leg room - Jermyn St has no floor (although possibly fixed with new seating)
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#7 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:43 AM

View Postxanderl, on 18 March 2013 - 09:50 PM, said:

St James has cramped leg room - Jermyn St has no floor (although possibly fixed with new seating)

Yes, fixed now, though they will never be able to do anything about the fact that you can be uncomfortably close to the action.  When I see a show (as opposed to a play) there, I am terrified of cast members tripping over my legs or bags so try to avoid sitting in the front row.

#8 theatrepaul

theatrepaul

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

The Thrill of Love at St James' Theatre explores the life and death of Ruth Ellis, the last woman to be hanged in the UK.

Powerful, gripping & moving, this is an excptional play, delivered by a small cast of five excellent actors, who depict a dark life of sex, drink, drugs, sex & violence. Yet there is a real warmth between the women in the play and at its heart, Faye Castelow as Ruth Ellis giving a stunning performance.  

Highly recommended

#9 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

This was ok. A muddled play, lacking drama and suspense- possibly because there's little in the story to make drama and suspense from. We despair for Ellis, but at the same time she's far from the most likeable woman on earth. And it does the drama school trick of flashbacks and repeating lines from earlier in the play at the end, as a sort of montage. Grr. I love a good courtroom drama, but when the woman pleads - and clearly is - guilty, you're not gonna get that, are you? Atmospheric staging, some solid performances esp Katie West as Doris Judd. The scene in the prison is the most gripping and affecting.

My first visit to the St James. I rather liked it. Similar in design to Trafalgar Studio 1 (pre transformation) but more intimate and nicer. Am tempted to book for London Wall and Rutherford and Son, now that they're not charging the earth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users