#11 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

View PostKevinUK, on 20 March 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

Maybe they'll bring it back for a 'limited season' run. I didn't see it, but always felt ALW wanted it to be a hit - I assume a lot of further reworks have been done. What was wrong with it exactly?

The story was pretty ridiculous.

SPOLIERS (well plot outline of the first act, but avoid if you don't want to know)

It is set about 10 years after the original story (depending on what bit of the text you base it on...). Then he escaped away to Coney Island, New York, where he runs (from the shadows) a freak show/cabaret review, with both Meg and Madame Giry. Christine is now a world renowned opera singer, and is lured to the US to open a new opera house with Raoul, now a gambling drunk, and her 10 year old son. And thus begins the fight for Christine once again.

/END SPOLIERS

It is all pretty odd and doesn't really feel part of the same world as the original. That and it looked a bit cheap. But I think the problem was is people like POTO's original ending, and a sequel wasn't really needed. Kind of like going, "And then they lived happily ever after! Except..."

But the score is my favourite of Lloyd Webber's, and so I would go just for that.

#12 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

I agree it's a strong score... But the story isn't worth telling or worthy of interest. That's what needs an overhaul.. As well as the set (which Australia seemed to get right..).

#13 JEFFJAGUAR

JEFFJAGUAR

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

I agree completely with the above sentiments.  I saw it twice while visiting London and while there were some enjoyable songs, the "plot" was so absurd that it almost made the original Phantom believable (almost).  So bad was it that it never opened in NY even though it originally supposed to (can you believe, BTW, POhantom is still running in NYC but Les Mis isn't, just a side note).  I just can't see any rhyme or reason to bring it back.

#14 bex1210

bex1210

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

There are a lot of flaws in the story but i loved the score so would happily go see it. I quite liked the Australian version from watching the dvd, it was improved by a much more elaborate stage and less of the videos.

#15 BurlyBeaR

BurlyBeaR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

I liked it :0)

#16 Caz

Caz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, walking around London

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

View PostCarmella1, on 19 March 2013 - 11:50 PM, said:

Two versions at the Adelphi were enough for me.  No way I would see a third version.
I saw it five times at the Adelphi and each time it was sooooo different! lol

#17 BrumCub

BrumCub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Theme Parks ... and lots of others that I can't put on here ;-)

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

I think the score is superb ... saw it in London and thought it was just ok, but I loved the Australian version on DVD - so I for one am very much looking forward to seeing it again :-)

#18 The Scorpion

The Scorpion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

The story is beyond help and the whole premise of the show is spurious -- no story was worth telling after the original, which was rounded off perfectly. ALW seems to have turned this into one big vanity project. Considering he went on about how the Aussie version would go to Broadway and then it never did, I would take this news with a big pinch of salt.

#19 Warmington

Warmington

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

I would love to see this back in London with the Australian version and agree that the score is excellent.  I will definitely be keeping my fingers crossed that this happens.

#20 robg

robg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

i saw this twice in london at the start of the run and the end , and must admit i LOVE the score , and enjoyed the show more than Phantom , yes there are issues with the story but these could be easily fixed , i did like the original beginning with the fire and then it going back in time to tell the story , i think meg should start a fire in her jealous rage  rather then what she does , and the boy get trapped , then the rescue of the boy unfolds  and it ends that way ? there are lots of ideas on the original LND forum  really good ones David Ian  should get hints off them to improve it , i think the new Copenhagen  production is still going would love to see what that looks like

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users