Major New National Theatre Co-Production?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 zahidf

zahidf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

View Postyoung offender, on 21 March 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

It will take place in 'a large disused indoor space in Zone One'. The London Palladium? It fits the bill nicely, if those rumours about A Chorus Line are to be believed.

Doubt it would be a theatre again. Must be a warehouse of some sort.

#32 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

View Postzahidf, on 21 March 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

Doubt it would be a theatre again. Must be a warehouse of some sort.

We ought to run a "pin the tail on the donkey" competition to see which of us gets closest to the venue. Let me see ... King's Cross, Earl's Court .... I guess Elephant and Castle.

#33 zahidf

zahidf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 21 March 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

We ought to run a "pin the tail on the donkey" competition to see which of us gets closest to the venue. Let me see ... King's Cross, Earl's Court .... I guess Elephant and Castle.

Its praed street, paddington. Have booked my tickets

#34 zahidf

zahidf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

So, nobody else got a ticket for this?

#35 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

View Postzahidf, on 21 March 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

So, nobody else got a ticket for this?

More than one, I think you get the best out of their shows if you get to see them a number of times. Steep prices though, which is a shame for those on a budget.

I've also managed to get tickets for 'The Borough' in Aldeburgh and 'Massive Attack vs Adam Curtis' in Manchester so it's going to be a bit of a Punchdrunk/Felix Barrett summer!

#36 dallardice

dallardice

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

I'm booked, it will be my first Punchdrunk production as I've never moved fast enough before.  I'm doing the late night option of Friday 10.30pm but not until into August..

#37 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

I'm probably being dense, but how exactly do you get the under-26 tickets?  Or are they all sold out?  Also, two small criticisms:
1) The price - £49.50?  Blimey.
2) Premium tickets - twice as much and (I'm misquoting) there's an extra prologue which unlocks the secrets or whatnot.  That seems a bit unfair - firstly, it'd better be a great prologue for an extra £40 and secondly it seems a bit peculiar to me to conceive a play and have most people only see 90% of it.  A bit like putting on Hamlet and saying that only premium seats can see the Gravedigger scene, where the play can perfectly well chug along without it but it "unlocks the secrets" of the play.  I'm probably being unfair myself...

#38 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

"Premium tickets include an invitation to an additional prologue and access to hidden secrets within The Drowned Man: A Hollywood Fable."

It sounds closer to the analogy of prime seats at the ballet where you are sufficiently elevated to see the configuration of the entire depth and width of the stage and sufficiently close to see details of choreography, gesture, costume and expression, with an accompanying introductory talk from a member of the creative team and some exposure to the principal sources which sparked and informed the creation of the work.

With Punchdrunk shows, each attender only encounters fragments or chunks of the performance and designed environment, often in a random order, so the Premium option sounds enticing if you prefer some inside guidance and are willing to pay. I've only attended The Duchess of Malfi and was very frustrated by this random, partial aspect. so wasn't intending to do Punchdrunk again, but this Premium "helping hand" option is tempting. You should be more likely to see what's really at the heart of the event.

The other Punchdrunk feature I loathe is that they strongly encourage everyone to wear an inflexible mask with small eyeholes throughout the event, indicating that you won't be admitted if you refuse. My spectacles were displaced by my mask, which caused some pain and also induced a migraine because I was no longer looking through the correct part of my lenses. I now have varifocals and so it would now be impossible for me to wear their mask and see clearly. Punchdrunk is well aware of this problem and others' related difficulties but they still insist on the masks.

#39 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 22 March 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

It sounds closer to the analogy of prime seats at the ballet where you are sufficiently elevated to see the configuration of the entire depth and width of the stage and sufficiently close to see details of choreography, gesture, costume and expression, with an accompanying introductory talk from a member of the creative team and some exposure to the principal sources which sparked and informed the creation of the work.

With Punchdrunk shows, each attender only encounters fragments or chunks of the performance and designed environment, often in a random order, so the Premium option sounds enticing if you prefer some inside guidance and are willing to pay. I've only attended The Duchess of Malfi and was very frustrated by this random, partial aspect. so wasn't intending to do Punchdrunk again, but this Premium "helping hand" option is tempting. You should be more likely to see what's really at the heart of the event.

That's really interesting, thanks.  Still doesn't make me want to spend £80 though.

#40 vickster51

vickster51

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

I've booked the second Sunday preview on 30th June for £29.50. It'll be my first Punchdrunk production. Quite excited but I have no idea what to expect!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users