Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

Almost every notification email I receive about productions now seems to come with links to teaser trailers and/or videos of rehearsals and other behind the scenes stuff. I never watch them, partly because I always find theatre looks really naff on screen - and that's actual productions, let alone rehearsals - and partly because if it sounds like something I might see, I'd rather wait to actually see it.

But I wondered what others think about these videos, whether anyone does watch them, finds them useful, etc. I don't know if productions do them because it's been shown to work, or because other productions do them, "so we'd better as well".

EDIT: Day after original post - got one from the Rose Kingston, promoting Smack Family Robinson,

- though I can kind of understand that particular venue wanting to let the universe know by any means possible that they also have plays without Judi Dench in.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#2 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

Not a huge fan and generally don't watch them.  I don't mind rehearsal videos or technical back-stagey things but most trailers are terrible, especially for plays. I did however like the one for 'curious incident' at NT.

#3 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

The one for Deathtrap was good. But I only watched it because people here said it was a cut above the usual. Normally I can't be bothered.

#4 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1207 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

Like the theatre in cinema thread - I find that these trailers rarely work. The medium of film and stage is so different. Although in todays YouTube and social media age I understand the producers trying to embrace the technology and encouraging backstage blogging and "behind the scenes" stuff to generate interest. But it is not for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users