#11 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 23 March 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

But as you didn't see it in the theatre you don't know that do you. Was it the C4 TV version on a big screen ? I imagine it was. I saw it both on stage and on TV. No comparison.

I'm sure you're right, but without that point of comparison, the experience felt the same.  As I can't compare I suppose I ought to have said "that experience was as visual and visceral as many other live theatre experiences have been" which is a statement I can and do stand by.  Three or four months later, during the interval at Gatz, I had similar feelings to during the interval for Nicholas Nickleby.  I'm sure I didn't get quite the experience the people who saw the show did, but I got close.  In fact, seeing Frankenstein at the cinema felt, again, visual and visceral, and though it was the sort of show that really took you with it live on stage it was very nearly the same show at the cinema - more exciting on stage, of course, but the cinema wasn't just a consolation prize.  I think anyone who sees theatre filmed well gets a good experience.

#12 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

I have seen a couple of screenings of shows and always left slightly disappointed. The plays are meant for the stage and the acting style is very different for stage than for cinema. They are well filmed now with close ups etc. but again but the style of the acting is not suited to the screen. I am lucky in that I live in close proximity to London and I appreciate that others do not get the opportunity to go to London as often as I do and therefore it gives folk the chance to see plays which they might not otherwise see, but in my view it is second best.

#13 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

I can't argue with people having enjoyed screenings, but all I can say is that every piece of on-screen theatre I've ever seen has looked and felt dead, regardless of how genuinely good the production being filmed is. I agree with wickedgrin.

An extension of this: I can't bear Shakespeare on screen, and I'm talking about any kind of feature film, TV version, etc.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#14 maggiem

maggiem

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

I've enjoyed all the theatre I've seen at the cinema. From my point of view, it's a chance to see things that I wouldn't be able to get to otherwise.

Did anyone see "War of The Worlds - live on stage" last night? If so, what did you make of it, especially if you've previously seen it on stage?

I'd always been a bit wary of this as a stage vehicle, so I took the opportunity to see it at my local Cineworld. I thought the music is as good as it's ever been, and there are 2 great performances from Jason Donovan and Ricky Wilson in the second half. The hologram effect is okay, Liam Neeson does a neat job (and I loved the little moment when The Journalist hands The Artilleryman a drink).

Overall though, I think I was right to be wary as I felt the narration was a bit redundant at times, with all the animated storytelling up on the rear screen. Opinions, please!

#15 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:06 AM

I agree with what was previous said. The acting styles of stage to screen are different and sometimes it doesn't come across well on stage. I've seen several things at my cinema (not as many as I'd like!) and I've always enjoyed the experience but sometimes I feel the performances just don't click (as in Frankenstein, I thought that came across awfully on screen).

View Postmaggiem, on 12 April 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

Did anyone see "War of The Worlds - live on stage" last night? If so, what did you make of it, especially if you've previously seen it on stage?

Going to see it later today at Cineworld! Excited :)
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#16 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

Digital Cinema has a new agreement to show some of its shows in cinemas ...

http://www.guardian....atre-cinemalive
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#17 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

It's an interesting one, and something I discuss in my work actually (I'm a PhD student). I'm in favour of both recording as a matter of record for archives and think that extending some productions to cinema is a positive thing.  I agree that it's far from the same experience seeing cinema broadcasts but that it has a far from negative effect on theatre.

Personally, although I go to London frequently to see theatre, not living there means I have to be very picky about what I see, cinema broadcasts allow me to see things I wouldn't have time to in London. Doesn't mean however I won't see it because there's a cinema broadcast (saw 'This House' a couple of weeks back despite the upcoming NT live broadcast) but it allows me to see things I've 'missed'.

Another useful aspect is for students, I teach at a University and getting a coach load of students to London to see a play is time consuming and costly, however if an assigned text is being broadcast at cinemas (Othello is a good example considering it's sold out also) then getting students there to see the theatre version is a wonderful resource.
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#18 livetheatreco

livetheatreco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Musicals, Plays. Running www.livetheatre.co

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

I was initially sceptical about this and having not been to see one yet, I still am. However I was recently at a wedding and got speaking to a guy who manages a theatre in Bournemouth. They have put on the Met Opera a couple of times there and I believe are soon to do one of the NT productions and he said they sell out these events. For me, selling out theatres that wouldnt normally have that kind of attendance has always got to be a good thing. Theatre has to embrace the digital age in one way or another, at least in a theatre/cinema setting they have the sound set up to recreate the type of sound you'd get in the actual theatre. Something I'm a little more dubious about is DigitalTheatre as there is no way you can recreate the feel of a theatrical performance through a laptop/ipad.
Love going to the theatre, London has so much to offer! Launched www.livetheatre.co in December 2012.

#19 El Peter

El Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

In general 'theatre at the cinema' is a good thing for the kind of reasons other posters have mentioned. That people well beyond London and for whom NT provincial tours do not include their local city, can now see NT productions presented to theatre audiences while they sit with their fellow audience members in a cinema is a wonderful thing. It makes the community of those interested in theatre much larger.

#20 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

Article on this in today's Guardian - http://www.guardian....nt-live-success

Interesting read - particularly the bit about the wigs!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users