#21 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

View PostAlf, on 25 March 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

I've just had a look and realised I haven't been back since Richard II in 2011. I just haven't been drawn to any of the more recent productions or any of the star names that the Donmar used to be so adept at hiring.

For me the high water mark of the Grandage era wasn't star-name-driven - his production of The Wild Duck. So far it doesn't look to me as if Josie Rourke is a good enough director to match that, she seems to be at about the standard of lesser Grandage-era productions like "Life's A Dream" and "Prince of Homburg" and his own "Luise Miller".

As I noted before I think the biggest threat to the Donmar spark is flashy old Rupert Goold taking over the Almedia, he is adept at look-at-me pyrotechnics.

#22 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3396 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

Id say Chichester is a rival too, when you look at the transfer of productions to the commerical West End.  Chichester is hard to beat at the moment, although the National seems to be back on form too.

What was the last Donmar production to transfer? Was it Red (which went straight to Broadway)?

#23 Schuttep

Schuttep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

There was a big gap between me seeing Richard II in 2011 and Trelawny at Saturday's matinee. The £10 seats were, I believe, initially intended to try to get a new/younger audience in. On Saturday they were just filled with the usual audience members who'd bothered to wait and buy them as per the convoluted booking arrangements.

Time for a re-think on the £10 seats. It's pretty obvious they're just playing lip service to tryng to get a new audience. As do the Travelex £12 seats at the National - if they're available, I buy them: and I'd go anyway!

At the Donmar I'm seeing The Weir later on but not the new Conor MacPherson; for goodness' sake, why two in a row??

To answer the original question, yes, it has lost its way a bit. Sadly.
If I listed every show I'd seen since 1974 I'd get RSI.

Favourite Musicals: Blood Brothers; Brigadoon; Chicago; Chess; Chorus Line; Company; Evita; Follies; Godspell; Les Miserables; Little Night Music; Little Shop of Horrors; Mack and Mabel; Man of La Mancha; Merrily We Roll Along; Miss Saigon; Phantom of the Opera; Rent; Rocky Horror Show; South Pacific.

Favourite Plays: Beautiful Thing; Bent; Blithe Spirit; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; Cherry Orchard; Dance of Death; Death of a Salesman; Endgame; Happy Days; Hedda Gabler; Henry IV (Parts I and II); Importance of Being Earnest; Little Foxes; Mother Courage; Private Lives; Shirley Valentine; Torch Song Trilogy; What the Butler Saw; Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?; Wild Duck.

#24 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

The Donmar hasn't transferred to the West End for a few years, that's not neccerarily a bad thing but the likes of the Menier, Royal Court and  Hampstead have all had at least one transfer, the Nationals pretty hard to bet with four West End transfers,

#25 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

I'm always surprised Red never went to the West End. Hope it does at some point- I missed it back in 2009/10.

I missed Trelawny (had booked but couldn't go), and am not desperate to catch it. The Weir I'm looking forward to, the new McPherson I'll book for. As for Rourke's tenure thus far, Recruiting Officer I thought was excellent, The Physicists  too. Berenice and Philadelphia Here I Come not so much. The former was a real szooze fest. Caesar was flawed, but fascinating production. So a mixed bag.

Odd that they've only announced 1 production for the next 'season'.

#26 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 25 March 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

I'm always surprised Red never went to the West End. Hope it does at some point- I missed it back in 2009/10.

I missed Trelawny (had booked but couldn't go), and am not desperate to catch it. The Weir I'm looking forward to, the new McPherson I'll book for. As for Rourke's tenure thus far, Recruiting Officer I thought was excellent, The Physicists  too. Berenice and Philadelphia Here I Come not so much. The former was a real szooze fest. Caesar was flawed, but fascinating production. So a mixed bag.

Odd that they've only announced 1 production for the next 'season'.

I imagine they wanted to get to Broadway as soon as possible hence why they skipped a West End transfer plus the availability of the cast was likely a factor as well.

#27 Rooster Byron

Rooster Byron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

I posted this in the Trelawny Of Wells topic...

Left in the interval, not for me at all this one. Since Josie has taken over I've yet to fully love a production, I think the choices of plays is probably to blame. Also if the Donmar are keen on increasing its young audience (I myself am in my early 20s) then it's not picking the right shows, and the £10 front row scheme isn't working. Every time I've been since it's started the seats have been full of people a LOT older than me.

The most frustrating thing is that I am a member, so last night I found myself in seats that I not only paid top price for, but also a premium due to my membership fees which had a worse view than the £10 seats. Terrible business model.

#28 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

Only one Olivier nomination this year. Usually they're one of the frontrunners.

#29 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostRooster Byron, on 26 March 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

The most frustrating thing is that I am a member, so last night I found myself in seats that I not only paid top price for, but also a premium due to my membership fees which had a worse view than the £10 seats. Terrible business model.
Not the first time I've heard such thoughts. I hope all who are expressing this here are also letting the Donmar know.

I never bothered with DW membership as I tend to use memberships mainly to get priority tickets and ensure I see stuff, but with the DW I always found I could get tickets to all the things I wanted to see without having to sign up. I'm doubly glad now. Not that I've felt the urge to see anything there for over a year now.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#30 Rooster Byron

Rooster Byron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

I see my membership a bit like buying a lottery ticket... I've got it, just in case my numbers come up. Or in this instance just in case they put on an incredible play with an all star cast that there'll be no other way to get a ticket for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users