#1 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

Adam Garcia? What a joke! He was awful.

I trust Imeldas name is already engraved in her award....

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

Surely Mark Rylance shouldn't be nominated again for Best Actor for Twelfth Night? He was nominated for Best Actor in 2003 for exactly the same performance.

#3 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

No nominations for Viva Forever... Oh dear, oh dear.

Love that the awards are heard at the Royal Opera House, but their productions barely get a look in, for the 2nd year running.

#4 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

And where on earth is Cate Blanchett?
The barbican is eligible and she was sensational.

Still at least we're spared a year of Sheridan winning

#5 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

Surely Mark Rylance should have been nominated for Richard III, anyway - it was a better performance (I loved Twelfth Night, but that Richard was a performance a level higher).  And wouldn't most Olivias normally be supporting actress?  I could complain about things I disagree with and what I see as omissions (and probably will, when I've looked over the list properly), but two really really stupid things.

One, Rafe Spall for actor but not Sally Hawkins for actress?  I don't imagine anyone left Constellations saying "Boy, that bloke really carried the piece, shame she wasn't quite up to much", it was a two hander where both matched each other.  Perhaps it's just because they nominated four, which makes me ask a genuine question - why only four actresses and five actors?  I've noticed this happen from time to time and always wondered.  If they could have nominated five, certainly, that makes the exception all the more glaring.

Two, Kristen Scott Thomas for Old Times.  I've raved, and I stand by what a triumphant piece of work this was, and best revivial is a good shout.  Rufus Sewell is, in fact, perhaps one of those omissions (I can think of way more than five 'best actor' contenders, so I'll need to think if it's an omission or others are more deserving).  But...  KST for Old Times, yes, I'd agree.  Just it should be like Frankenstein - KST and LW joint for best actress.  I mean, KST for Old Times - her Kate or her Anna?  Was, say, her Kate the best of the four possible actress/role combinations and the other three be damned?  Or both?  Or was she just generally better both ways?  In both I thought they gave very complimentary, very interesting and very different performances that only worked with the other.  Anna, I suppose, is a flashier role, but both the Kates were the driving force - one cold, calculating and dry, the other subtly emotional and devastatingly human.  And their Annas were very different pieces of work.  So it's not that KST shouldn't have been nominated but it should have been a Frankenstein-esque nod for the two of them.  And anyone who sees it tonight, I'm betting there'll be a much frostier feel on stage...

#6 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

The nominations for Best New Musical are simply tragic.

#7 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 26 March 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

And where on earth is Cate Blanchett?
The barbican is eligible and she was sensational.

I don't think Gross und Klein had enough performances to be eligible, same for Cheek by Jowl's Tis Pity She's a Whore. Lydia Wilson was probably the best performance of a leading role I saw all year. Given there were only four best actress nominations then one of those would have easily been added. I believe the Young Vic also aren't automatically eligible and Benedict Andrews' Three Sisters would surely have been up for best director and at least one supporting actress nomination.

In other areas, however, they appeared to have had enough performances, Paul Rhys as Woland/The Master in Master and Margarita, was easily the equal of any performance nominated and, with McBurney up for best director, he must be eligible. Also, who did Sally Hawkins upset? The equal of Spall and he gets nominated whilst an open slot is left making it more a slur than a snub for her. For the best new play these are such a conservative choice, people will look back in years to come and wonder why plays such as 'The Republic of Happiness' and 'Love and Information' weren't nominated. Being in the Royal Court downstairs should mean that they were eligible but 'The Audience' and 'This House', sturdy rather than sparkling, get the nod instead.

#8 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

I'm glad LDJIN got some nods but thought that Laurie Metcalf would be nominated....
Did Royal Court's Posh get nominated a couple of years ago? 'Cos the West End run last year was (so I heard) a slightly different script, I would have thought that would have been eligible - and certainly deserving  of a nod.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#9 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

View PostCardinal Pirelli, on 26 March 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

I believe the Young Vic also aren't automatically eligible and Benedict Andrews' Three Sisters would surely have been up for best director and at least one supporting actress nomination.

Well they got a Best Actress and Set Design nomination so that can't be the reason.

I'm pleased to say I haven't seen a single one of the nominations in any category - quite an achievement (although I am seeing the Young Vic "A Doll's House" when it returns later this year thus spoiling my record).

#10 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 26 March 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

Well they got a Best Actress and Set Design nomination so that can't be the reason.

I'm pleased to say I haven't seen a single one of the nominations in any category - quite an achievement (although I am seeing the Young Vic "A Doll's House" when it returns later this year thus spoiling my record).

There was a Lyn Gardner article about this last year, the Young Vic is an affiliate member so particular productions aren't eligible unless they cough up the cash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users