• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Bovery

Bovery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

Really happy for James McAvoy and Macbeth.

#22 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 26 March 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

The nominations were read out live on Radio 2 by someone called Ruth Wilson who had invented a new original pronunciation for every non-English word.

This would be two-time Olivier award-winning Ruth Wilson?

#23 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

View PostCardinal Pirelli, on 26 March 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

There was a Lyn Gardner article about this last year, the Young Vic is an affiliate member so particular productions aren't eligible unless they cough up the cash.

Oh interesting, my policy of never reading anything that she writes failed me on that occasion.

A total blank by the RSC this time, for one reason or another. Not good for their profile. Also the Donmar, Almeida and NT under-represented or not represented at all.

#24 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1306 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

It was all a bit embarrasing. I appreciate they are trying to make it more of an event... But it was so half assed I'm not sure it was worth doing.

#25 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 26 March 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Oh interesting, my policy of never reading anything that she writes failed me on that occasion.

A total blank by the RSC this time, for one reason or another. Not good for their profile. Also the Donmar, Almeida and NT under-represented or not represented at all.

The NT did pretty well- 14 nods, spread across 5 productions. Alex Jennings overlooked though.The Donmar had their worst year in 15 years, with only 1 nod. Well deserved by Cush Jumbo. The Almeida got none- a shame, as I would've liked to have seen The Dark Earth and Light Sky up there for new play, as well as design and direction. And yes, nothing for the RSC despite several London productions last year. I suspect the Tennant led Richard II will be recognized next year though, if his Hamlet was anything to go by.

#26 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

But, but, but......

No Sally Hawkins?

Unfathomable......

So bizarre that I keep thinking it must be a clerical error.

#27 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

Yes, no Sally Hawkins or Laurie Metcalf. Don't understand it.

#28 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

I didn't see everything nominated or everyone but I do think Sally Hawkins whom I did see, deserved a nomination. List a bit off I think actually. The fact that they nominate different number of men and women is really bonkers. Was explained to me by something to do with parts available to actors. But I didn't understand the explanation. And because the awards are so late into the year compared with the Evening Standard  and the WOS, they lose impact. Also they try to get winners in the still playing category ( or can come back fast ) to boost sales.

Ps just a thought: are the Ollies falling into the Oscar trap, that is they think if it looks easy it is. Sally H makes it look easy but it is In fact acting of the highest calibre.

#29 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1306 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

Yes Sally H not being nominated is a shocker. I hope Mirren doesn't win. I adore her.., but don't think she delivered in The Audience at all.

#30 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

I thought Mirren was stunning, but would quite like to see Hattie Morahan win, and complete her hat-trick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users