Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:57 AM

View PostLynette, on 26 March 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

nd because the awards are so late into the year compared with the Evening Standard  and the WOS, they lose impact

Yes, why are they getting later? The actual ceremony used to be in early March, now it's the end of the month and the shortlist is just out.

No surprise at the omissions - as mentioned in other threads, assuming the panel's longlist still goes through the SOLT mincer and members have discarded some of the year's best candidates.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#32 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

View PostPharaoh, on 26 March 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

I thought Mirren was stunning,
She's had enough practice at the part.

#33 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

As much as I would love Morahan to win, I can't see Mirren not winning. If only because she's never won one before.

#34 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

Thanks to its return, I will have the pleasure of seeing Doll's House and Morahan's performance very shortly. Plus I really fancy her so would just enjoy seeing it anyway.

View Postpopcultureboy, on 27 March 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

As much as I would love Morahan to win, I can't see Mirren not winning.

So you think HM, playing HMQ, will win the battle of the HMs?

Well done on your surname usage there. Sometimes the twee use of performers' first names on this site makes me cringe (he says, having probably just made some people cringe by saying I fancy Hattie Morahan).

#35 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

So you think HM, playing HMQ, will win the battle of the HMs?

I do, yes. Though I think Morahan is more deserving. She turns herself inside out as Nora, the last 30 minutes were just tremendous. I'm hopefully going again on 9th April.

Well done on your surname usage there. Sometimes the twee use of performers' first names on this site makes me cringe

Heheh thanks. And yes, it makes me cringe too. Someone on the Wicked discussion thread, talking about Louise Dearman, said they hoped "Lou would change things up a bit". Lou? Do me a favour.

#36 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

View Postpopcultureboy, on 27 March 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

Someone on the Wicked discussion thread, talking about Louise Dearman, said they hoped "Lou would change things up a bit". Lou? Do me a favour.

Jjjsshhhaaaa (shudders)

#37 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:12 AM

For me the big miss is Laurie Metcalf who was stunning in One Day's Journey oh and Rylance being nominated - he was funny but nothing more than that.

Surprised that Piper made the list - she was very good but nothing exceptional.

Glad I've got tickets to that second run of A Dolls House to see Morahan.

#38 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3741 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

Jenny Tiramani has been nominated for Best Costumes for Twelfth Night , an award she won in 2003 for the same production.
And we have a similar case with Rylance.

#39 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

The nub is that SoLT is gradually stepping up their manipulation of these awards to favour the productions they want to promote. They no longer honour what a critical panel decides is the "best". The SoLT awards are now similar to the WoS awards. Both are of interest in reflecting what certain interested parties wish to publicise but neither is an honest assessment of quality. It's a shame that the SoLT awards are degenerating into crassness just as they regain their former media prominence but the two changes are probably closely related. The SoLT awards can only get mass media coverage by honouring what is already most familiar to consumers of the mass media. Unfortunately, the award winners now know their awards are devalued. The "Olivier" awards are now the "Salt" awards, to be forgotten on the next day's chip paper.

#40 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1777 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

Apparently SOLT members are being encouraged only to vote where they've seen all the nominated productions.  Fat hope. Naturally all the producers are going to vote for their own productions, just as they always did when it came to nominations, but at least only the panel members (who'd seen all the shows) used to vote on the winners. Now even the winners will be voted for by interested parties.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users