54 replies to this topic

#41 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

It's a big shame. Back in the archive there is a description of my Olivier experience. Thin end of wedge I see now.

#42 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

Got a link to that? I tried googling but got lots of stuff about the South African tax expert Prof Lynette Olivier (unless that's in fact you?) :)
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#43 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

O nice. I might take that Prof title ! No sorry it was yonks ago . I just simply stated that the long list got sent to the solt guys and then when it came back there were additions. But then, over ten years ago, the panel voted and ignored the additions. So it was noted but the awards went to whom the panel chose, though I have to say the industry members of the panel outnumbered the punters. A.A. Gill was on the panel and he was quite acerbic so not much , if anything , got past him.
Any of my fellow panelists out there?

#44 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

In answer to Lynette, yes, we've swapped notes on Oliviers Panel experiences. I too found that long list nominations made by the panel were distilled down to a shortlist that eliminated ones we felt very strongly about, most notably that year by the elimination of Jonathan Slinger who didn't make it to the best actor shortlist. The panel were unanimous that his Richard II was the most remarkable performance of the year; some, including me, found it one of the most remarkable we'd ever seen. We couldn't believe that an organisation of supposed theatre professionals could have seen Slinger's performance and not deemed it worthy of even being shortlisted. The award was eventually won by Jacobi for his Malvolio, an okay/adequate performance vastly inferior to Slinger's. At one point during panel discussions one of the Oliviers staff said (re Jacobi) "Well, he'd be terribly upset to not be at least nominated". They also said re Slinger "They probably won't know who he is."

They were also evasive regarding the SOLT members' actual attendance of all productions.

The more I think back on it, the more I wish I'd just walked. I decided to enjoy the rest of what was an interesting one-off experience that year but have assigned little or no value to these awards ever since.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#45 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

Interesting Backdrifter. In respect of attendances. I know that the punters  on the panel on which I served saw everything. But I also know that the professionals didn't. I certainly enjoyed the free tickets in best seats for everything! Who wouldn't? But like Backdrifter, I am left with reservations about the whole shebang.

#46 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:02 AM

Ditto everything you two said, though in my year, once it got to nominations stage there was a surprising amount of anonymity between the professionals and the punters, and I was (largely) happy with the winners, though not entirely with the nominations. It's true that the punters saw everything whereas the professionals didn't bother.

Two things about that year pissed me off: (1) there was hardly any scope for discussion - we simply met and voted; and (2) we were told we had to have at least 4 nominations in each category, so that in the Best Entertainment category, a show we all hated was nominated because there were only four eligible shows in that category that year. Ridiculous.

They will have even less value from now on, when SOLT members will vote for their own shows. What a shame.

#47 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

I tried and failed to get on the panel one year so obviously the whole thing is corrupt and worthless.

#48 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

Interesting to read of the Olivier panels members experiences. I was a "judge" on the recently disbanded TMA regional panel for several years and likewise had doubts on the impact (?) that my recommendations had on the overall result - not that this in any way affected my acceptance of tickets! TMA are now going down the route of "public" votes, which (as we have seen with the WoS voting) will result in the winners being decided by the productions with the biggest media fan-base.

I am sort-of getting sympathy for the bleats of the critics who deride the star rating system in place of reasoned critique.

Dumbing down? Shirley not....

Don't call me surely.
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#49 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

There was not a surprising amount of anonymity. There was, however, a surprising amount of unanimity. Brain weirdly doing some kind of predictive text.

#50 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

Uninymity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users