• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

View PostIan, on 30 March 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

the recently disbanded TMA regional panel

I'm sorry to hear that, didn't know it had been disbanded. I too was on it for a few years.

View PostIan, on 30 March 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

TMA are now going down the route of "public" votes

And I'm sorry to hear that too.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#52 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

View PostBackdrifter, on 28 March 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

The award was eventually won by Jacobi for his Malvolio, an okay/adequate performance vastly inferior to Slinger's. At one point during panel discussions one of the Oliviers staff said (re Jacobi) "Well, he'd be terribly upset to not be at least nominated". They also said re Slinger "They probably won't know who he is."

They were also evasive regarding the SOLT members' actual attendance of all productions.

Now knowing that, I feel quite free to continue to vehmently disagree with said awards, at least I only have an opinion on performances I've seen, as for the actor needing to be well known or upset if not nominated, ridiculous.

Ps I do share the the view that calling people by just their first name on here can be a bit cringey but have to admit to having done it when I can't spell their surname and yes I could look it up but should also mention I am lazy.

#53 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

Just a word in favour of Jacobi, I thought he was very good as Malvolio, several nods to great clowns such as Frankie Howerd. It is not an easy part as Richard Wilson amply demonstrated. Slinger was good too though not as funny.

#54 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

Oh I really enjoyed Jacobi's Malvolio and as Epicoene points out it's a part that can easily go wrong, it was just the implication from Backdrifter's experience that certain actors were more worthy of nominations because they were better known (not Backdrifter's view, their experience, not sure how clear I was being)

#55 CAA

CAA

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 28 March 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

The nub is that SoLT is gradually stepping up their manipulation of these awards to favour the productions they want to promote. They no longer honour what a critical panel decides is the "best". The SoLT awards are now similar to the WoS awards. Both are of interest in reflecting what certain interested parties wish to publicise but neither is an honest assessment of quality. It's a shame that the SoLT awards are degenerating into crassness just as they regain their former media prominence but the two changes are probably closely related. The SoLT awards can only get mass media coverage by honouring what is already most familiar to consumers of the mass media. Unfortunately, the award winners now know their awards are devalued. The "Olivier" awards are now the "Salt" awards, to be forgotten on the next day's chip paper.

Agree 100% The Awards are simply to raise the profile of SoLT and its fixed lottery (why else include shows opening in March 2013) and as ever its best to leave some of the most worthy out of the nominations just in case they might win.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users