33 replies to this topic

#1 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

Well I think we can safely assume next years awards will be a bit more exciting with Charlie, Mormon and Once all competing. This years line up of new musicals is so woeful I feel a bit depressed. Soul Sister? The Bodyguard?

#2 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

I know, and I fear Bodyguard may win that category (I didn't enjoy it at all and much rather Loserville or Top Hat come out on top).

Next year will definitely be better, especially with some other shows that are rumoured to open.

#3 greeny11

greeny11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

I'm pleased they recognised Loserville, I thought it may have been forgotten with it's early closure.  Also very surprised to see Soul Sister nominated too.  I can only see The Bodyguard winning though.

#4 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

Yes, a thin field this year though I'm very happy for Loseville. I see Viva Forever was...ahem...overlooked though!

#5 Morten Aagaard

Morten Aagaard

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

I remember that Elaine Paige was nominated for her role in Sunset Boulevard in 1996. But Sunset Boulevard is from 1993.
Can actors still be nominated for a role in a show that has not opened the same year?
Morten Aagaard (DK)

WEST END:
Phantom of the Opera x17 | Love Never Dies x3 | Lion King x2 | Wicked x3 | Oliver x2 | Evita x2 | Wizard of Oz | We Will Rock You | Sister Act | Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat | Sound of Music | Les Miserables | Sunset Boulevard | Spamalot | Thriller Live | Avenue Q | Hair | Spamalot | Hairspray | Billy Elliot | Priscilla Queen of the Desert | Dirty Dancing | Sweeney Todd | Matilda x2 | Top Hat | Book of Mormon | Stephen Ward | Once | Charlie and the Chocolate Factory |

FRINGE:
Aspects of Love (Menier Chocolate Factory) | The Color Purple (Menier Chocolate Factory) | Titanic (Southwark Playhouse) x2 | Urinetown (St. James) | The Beautiful Game (Union) |

BROADWAY:
Phantom of the Opera x2 | Evita | Jesus Christ Superstar |

COPENHAGEN:
Phantom of the Opera x4 | Les Miserables x2 | Beauty and the Beast | Love Never Dies |

#6 06s091

06s091

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

View PostMorten Aagaard, on 26 March 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

I remember that Elaine Paige was nominated for her role in Sunset Boulevard in 1996. But Sunset Boulevard is from 1993.
Can actors still be nominated for a role in a show that has not opened the same year?

Yes, but it doesn't happen very often.
The last I remember was Mel C who got a nomination for Blood Brothers a few years ago

#7 06s091

06s091

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

The best new musical category really is dull this year - looking forward to next year already.

As for the best musical revival and best actor/actress: I think it's fairly obvious that Sweeney Todd will win all three.

#8 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3384 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

Sadly I think Sweeney will take all three

#9 06s091

06s091

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

I think Sweeney deserves the awards actually.

#10 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3384 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

Imelda yes,  the show maybe, but I think Balls performance was incredibly over rated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users