#21 isabel

isabel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1092 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 26 March 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

Am I alone in hating this Audience Award? It's embarrasing. The Oliviers should be above this. You'd NEVER get an equivalent at the Tonys.

Why do you hate it ? I think it's great the audience get to vote ....

#22 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3396 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

The problem is it just goes to the show with the biggest active online fan base (e.g. Wicked, Les mis etc). Its a token award really, doesnt mean anything (mind you do any awards mean anything).

#23 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

Thats the thing - Matilda is hugely popular but a lot of them are families who are unlikely to vote...

#24 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

It's just not very classy for such a supposedly ''prestigious awards'.
The Whatsonstage awards are the publics chance to vote.. The Oliviers lose credibility when Elaine Paige comes on to say a show that's been running for 25 years has won an award even though its in a pretty bad shape.

#25 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

I wouldnt say Wicked is 'in pretty bad shape'. It may not be as hugely popular as it was a little while ago but no one expects that to last forever and I'm pretty sure it will have a surge again soon

#26 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Oh no I meant les Mis.. Think it won last year?!

#27 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

Oh sorry my bad...and yep I think it did!

#28 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3396 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

Yes it did although i thought that year is was in the best shape id seen it for ages. No idea about now

#29 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 26 March 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

Am I alone in hating this Audience Award? It's embarrasing. The Oliviers should be above this. You'd NEVER get an equivalent at the Tonys.

It seems odd the other way though if you reward new work that proves ephemeral, or a passing fad, or a critic's hyperbole of the moment,  and don't give any awards to the long staying shows, that may be far better, but  that critics never re-review. Its perfectly possible that any of the long stayers can be amazingly good at any time, and better on a whole range of criteria than the flavour of the moment. If I was ranking what was on at the moment,  I would have 3 West End long stayers, Matilda, the  touring version of another West End fixture and a touring musical in my top 6.

The problem comes when the fanbases or current press visibility decides, or the show is ineligible for winning the previous year - which means that you can still put in the  best performance in the West End that year, or ever in that show, and still not win. There's no obvious way around that - or the problem that the best show around can be touring to as many people but get nothing.

#30 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

I'm not a huge fan of the audience award. Shows spend a but advertising for people to vote for it and great shows that should be appreciated might not get appreciated because something like Wicked has a bigger audience who would vote/ are online to vote *ahem* Blood Brothers should have some sort of recognition *ahem*.
Also for the WOS awards, you get Sheridan Smith fans (par example) voting for Sheridan when they might not have even seen her in the role. I notice she's not even nominated for the Oliviers, but I digress.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users