22 replies to this topic

#1 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

I'm planning a theatre holiday to NYC soon and was wondering if you guys could give me some advice and perhaps link me to some helpful websites or forums?

I'm particularly looking for info regarding discounted tickets (other than TKTS and daily rush), differences I should be aware of compared to the West End, lists of lesser-known off Broadway shows as well as special one off performances (I admire quite a few Broadway actors that are not in any particular show at the moment but still do special performances - such as concerts, charity gigs, galas - I just have no idea where to look for a handy list of what's coming up so I can set my dates).

Also: Tony Awards, worth going to as a "regular" theatre-goer?

Oh and are there any decent (not online) memorabilia shops, like we used to have Dress Circle?

Thanks for any help you can give!

#2 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

www.broadwaybox.com is the best site for discount codes, I think. And it's always worth reading playbill.com for any news about concerts at places like Joe's Pub and 54 Below (and of course they both have their own sites). Broadwayworld.com has pretty exhaustive coverage of everything going on, though I find their site unwieldy.

#3 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

Just after posting my questions I started browsing Broadwayworld.com but there's just so much information that it's a bit hard to find anything really... Thanks for the help though, especially about the concert places!

#4 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2075 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

As popcultureboy says, broadwaybox is great, also register with playbill so you get sent discount codes from there too. Most of these codes can be used close to the show date so you can leave it till you're out there.  Playbill has quite a good calendar of Broadway and Off-Broadway shows.

The tkts website has daily listing so you can check what's on sale at the moment - top tip is there's a seperate queue for plays only which is a lot shorter! Tkts also does off-broadway shows.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#5 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

Thanks! Have joined the Playbill offers club and good to know about the separate TKTS queue for plays ^_^

#6 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

Also check out Broadway sessions, a great late night cabaret! When I was there I just searched the forums for rush info and didnt pay full price for anything. Rush is the broadway version of day seats. It doesn't have to be expensive. That said, there isn't really anything great on at the minute, maybe wait till big fish opens

#7 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

Friend and I are going end of May or early June, depending on flight prices. I'm keen to at least catch Newsies and Jekyll & Hyde but not sure yet on anything else.

Do you know when Big Fish is opening? I had a quick Google but only found "Spring 2013". Thanks!

#8 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

Big Fish doesn't start Broadway previews until September. It looks the "must see" show that's now on there that isn't here, as far as musicals go, is Kinky Boots. And Bette Midler is doing a one woman play, I'll Eat You Last. I think there are discount codes for both of those but I imagine their date range is VERY limited.

#9 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1244 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

Might be worth joining Hiptix, if you and your friends are under 35:
http://www.roundabou...ipTix-Info.aspx

It's free to join.

#10 janewcomer

janewcomer

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

broadway.com
theatermania.com
54 below
our dress circle (footlights) is long gone.
you can try contacting the tony awards offices and connecting with a customer relations person...
a friend of mine did so, made a connection, and was sold reasonably priced, well situated tix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users