22 replies to this topic

#11 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for all the advice people, much obliged :)

Is there a website somewhere that keeps track of roughly how early you need to get somewhere for day seats/general rush (assume some shows are a lot harder to get than others) or should I just enquire for those I'm interested in on an American discussion board?

#12 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

Just got back, not about cheap tickets, but do whatever it takes to get to pippin, it was incredible!!!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#13 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

Thanks, I'll definitely try to see that show now :) So far the list of shows I'd be keen to see is: Annie, Book of Mormon, Hands on a Hard Body, Jekyll & Hyde, Kinky Boots, Newsies, Nice Work If You Can Get It, Pippin and Spider-Man. Now the hard task of deciding what to rush/lottery/buy at TKTS and what to book in advance (without bankrupting myself...) so I get a chance to see most of them (I'm only there for 6.5 days and can see a maximum of 9 shows but of course with some being a lottery it's not at all guaranteed I get to see everything I want).

#14 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

I tried the Mormon lottery then when I inevitably lost that I went to TKTS and got avenue Q tickets, and that show is very fun if you haven't seen it!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#15 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

There's a fringe version of that show coming up in London, which is why it isn't on my list for NYC :) I did indeed plan to try some lotteries (possibly matinees for a better shot?) and if unsuccessful to go to TKTS for something else instead.

#16 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

I have booked for Kinky Boots and Jekyll and Hyde for my trip. I ended up just buying bad/cheap seats online because couldnt get any decent discounts for when I am there and wanted to make sure I at least saw sone of the shows I wanted to, then for the others might try tkts.

I am thinking about Spiderman just to see what it is like, has anyone seen it? Know it got a lot of bad reviews but intrigued to see the effects.

Any off broadway recommendations?

#17 theatre_kirsty

theatre_kirsty

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

I saw Spider-Man and I enjoyed it for the spectacle that it was. Some of the music was pretty good and I had fantastic performances from Patrick Page and reeve carney. I would recommend it but I know other haven't liked it. I particularly enjoyed the aerial fight sequence which from the stalls looking up is very impressive!

#18 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

For Spider-man. The music is solid but forgettable, but I loved the styling and stunts. Very fun for a comic book nerd like me. The book isn't great, and some of the costumes scream "we ran out of money... HERE." but still enjoyed it. I sat in the stalls like theatre_kirsty and is defo the place to see it from, but ensure you are in front of the dress (mezzanine)

#19 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for the advice. Does anyone know of any Broadway or OffBroadway shows on Monday or Tuesday matinees. I cant seem to find anything?

#20 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

Newsies has a Tuesday matinee, depending on the date.

Off Broadwayrecommendation: Murder Ballad looks interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users