2 replies to this topic

#1 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

Boyd's swansong, much better than Galileo which I also saw yesterday.

It has pace, a good plot, a reasonable emotional depth. On the whole it's well directed. A v sparse set, if you can call it that, used inventively. Loved the 'fountains'. A two sided Russia is well portrayed. It falls apart after Boris' death (around 10mins before the end, though I'd stop it there).... everyone enters in modern dress - tracksuits, anoraks etc - labours the point of a new beginning. Could've done without. And they insist on using those bloody fluorescent tubes/ industrial lighting hanging above the stage which seems to be the new theatrical cliche.

Some nice performances. Patrick Romer superb as the old monk, and Lloyd Hutchinson is good as Boris (or Boreeeees as the Russians say). Lucy Briggs Owen's diction all of the place. Mad eyes too.

But well worth a look. Oddly reminded me of the Donmar's Luise Miller back in 2011. Loved that back then.  This closes Saturday though.

#2 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

Forgot to say- loved the music and live bell ringing. Can we have more of that please?

#3 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

I saw this in December and thought it mostly a bit flat. It came across to me as some random classical play with no notable points of access to gain my attention and make me interested. The comedy monks just made me groan, like their equivalents in repeated productions of over-familiar Shakespeare plays. It would have benefited from some imposed design environment, like the mesmeric Andrei Tarkovsky production of the BG opera which featured an enormous pendulum as far as I remember, or like Michael Boyd's Henry VI plays in the Swan. Instead, it relied too much, for my taste, on bare acting which was too slight to make the play seem as weighty as it deserves to be. On the plus side, the young son on my night played his part to perfection, out-acting most of the adult actors.

Also tagged with RSC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users