50 replies to this topic

#1 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

Has anyone seen it ? Does anyone care ? Odd that an RSC Hamlet should open with such lack of publicity and excitement.

#2 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

Eighty further scheduled performances in Stratford, so plenty of opportunity to see it. The reviews suggest it should get better over its run, which is often the case with Stratford Shakespeares. I think there's less interest than usual because this spring and summer (RSC "Summer") season is the last one programmed by Michael Boyd, and so has minimal significance for the future state and direction of the RSC. Interest will perk up with Richard II in the autumn (RSC "Winter") when all and sundry will start pontificating on the prospects of the RSC as programmed by Greg Doran.

#3 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 28 March 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

Eighty further scheduled performances in Stratford, so plenty of opportunity to see it. The reviews suggest it should get better over its run, which is often the case with Stratford Shakespeares. I think there's less interest than usual because this spring and summer (RSC "Summer") season is the last one programmed by Michael Boyd, and so has minimal significance for the future state and direction of the RSC. Interest will perk up with Richard II in the autumn (RSC "Winter") when all and sundry will start pontificating on the prospects of the RSC as programmed by Greg Doran.

I wonder if David Farr will still be part of the team. On the whole I think he should be.

#4 simon from oxford

simon from oxford

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

It is striking how this production has been received.  There are those like me who really did not take to the Slinger/Farr vision and those who think it is groundbreaking and the best in a decade.  Very rarely have I been in an audience where the reaction was both people walking out because they hated it that much as well as those on their feet at the end cheering.

I think there are many problems with the interpretation and the central performance - but I know that others are equally convinced that it is a masterpiece.

It does feel like the company is in transition - and this one rather slipped through.  I don't know how Doran rates Farr - I guess that is what, ultimately, will decide how much of a future he has in Stratford.

#5 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

View Postsimon from oxford, on 28 March 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

Very rarely have I been in an audience where the reaction was both people walking out because they hated it that much as well as those on their feet at the end cheering.

Sounds like a good thing, yes? I'm seeing it in about six weeks' time and looking forward to it.   Anything's better than productions that make you go "meh".

I don't know how Doran rates Farr - I guess that is what, ultimately, will decide how much of a future he has in Stratford.

Objectively, he's very good.  Winter's Tale with the long ensemble was superb, Lear was flawed but competent.  Twelfth Night last season was excellent, and Tempest was solid if a little underwhelming.  So I'd say two very good, two solid.  That's a pretty good score card.

#6 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

Om please tell me, not a bonkers show?

#7 simon from oxford

simon from oxford

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

I think it could be described as manic....

#8 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

O groan ......

Can I just say that I think Greg  Hicks played the ghost in the Toby Stephens Hamlet. I'm not near my programmes so can't check. Must be on Internet somewhere. In that production he was seriously cool. And Toby Stephens was v good.

#9 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

Yes! I saw that! He was covered in white talc and walked super slowly in some reference to a Japanese thing. Can't remember who played Claudius- maybe Clive Wood?

#10 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

I have seen David Farr's The Winters Tale, King Lear, The Homecoming, Twelfth Night and The Tempest and my impression is that he brings a somber style to the plays. The productions were certainly not brimming with colour, but his attention to this style does seem to work. I thought The Tempest for one was eerily beautiful. I would not say his track record is perfect but his productions were worth seeing

Jonathan Slinger is one of my favorite Shakespearean actors. I never imagined him as Prospero, but he does seem to work well under David Farr's direction and vision
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users