4 replies to this topic

#1 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:35 AM

Just got back from seeing the Dreamgirls US Tour - I can't decide how I feel about the show on stage, in one way I thought it was great but then it didn't blow me away like I expected. I really really like the film so I was expecting the show to be even better.

Has there ever been a UK professional version? I don't ever remember seeing that there was? If not do we think it would work in the UK on stage?

I think some of the songs are fantastic and I like all the big 'argument' songs which work on stage well as well as the standard songs like dreamgirls, I am telling you etc. I did think that the show was a little bit long though and that the plot was tightened up a bit in the film

Any thoughts?

#2 blahblah

blahblah

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

View Postsam22, on 29 March 2013 - 04:35 AM, said:

Just got back from seeing the Dreamgirls US Tour - I can't decide how I feel about the show on stage, in one way I thought it was great but then it didn't blow me away like I expected. I really really like the film so I was expecting the show to be even better.

Has there ever been a UK professional version? I don't ever remember seeing that there was? If not do we think it would work in the UK on stage?

I think some of the songs are fantastic and I like all the big 'argument' songs which work on stage well as well as the standard songs like dreamgirls, I am telling you etc. I did think that the show was a little bit long though and that the plot was tightened up a bit in the film

Any thoughts?

I saw the original production on Broadway all those years ago which was wonderful. There has been talk on and off of it coming to the West End for many years, never to materialise other than a concert version at the Royal Festival Hall (which I missed). About 15 years when I worked at the Prince of Wales Theatre we had a visit from London producer Adam Spiegel along with some American producers with the plan of putting it in to the POW - and again, it didn't happen. I knew they were coming and at what time and so I waited until they crossed Coventry Street and then I pressed play on the speaker system we had to play music from the canopy outside the theatre and played "Move - you're steppin on my heart" just to try and make them feel at home.  A couple of years ago I saw the new touring production of Dreamgirls at the Apollo Theatre in Harlem, New York which I thought was wonderful, the performances were great and the whole thing electric and simply staged compared to what i remembered from the original Broadway show, However, it did not look at all like it was a touring production and would not have looked out of place in any Broadway house. At that time, the producers had announced that the tour would be coming to London's West End, and sadly, for whatever reason it didn't. i'd love it to come to town now, come on Mr Spiegel, think about it again!

#3 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

I only just saw your reply, what a fantastic story! Shame it didnt work!!! Yeah I wuld love to see a show here with a fresh west end cast. Though maybe it would have bee mire likely to sell well a few years ago when the film hype was still around

#4 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

Considering Dreamgirls has never had a West End or professional UK production. If it were to have a West End production, would be eligible for best new musical or would be ruled as a revival, I believe on Broadway, the revival of Little Shop of Horrors was considered a revival at the Tonys even though the original production had never played on Broadway

#5 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

Hmm I presume revival as I would of thought to be a new musical it would have to be the premiere of it and actually be a new show as although we havent had Dreamgirls it is a show that has been seen before so I think ineligible to be a 'new musical' as it isnt it is the 'uk premire' of a musical from Broadway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users