• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Everything Musical, Theatrical and Literary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:22 PM

I'm just back from seeing The Hired Man at Curve.
I was unfamiliar with the musical and it's source material so I didn't know what to expect but I was completely blown away!
The cast are flawless and I absolutely understand now why the show is heralded by some as the best recent British musical.
Being staged in the intimate studio theatre at Curve heightened the intensity of the drama and the emotion displayed by the cast was incredibly powerful!
The music was beautifully played aswell.
I really cannot recommend it enough and tickets are an absolute bargain to boot!
It's sad that the run is so short.
"And the last remnants time destroys"

My twitter account:
https://twitter.com/imjeanvaljean
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

#12 danieldabell

danieldabell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:27 AM

Julie Atherton & David Hunter are INCREDIBLE.
This production packs so much intense emotion & tells an epic story in an intimate & immersive venue. The cast & musician-actors are phenomenal.

#13 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

Really glad more people are getting to see this.
Wish I could have managed a second visit.

#14 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

Agree with all of the above, it is superb and suits the space at the Curve so well.

#15 mrmfr

mrmfr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for the heads up JaszyR91 I'll have to go check this out!

For all of you immersive fans I'd recommend Project Colony and Wyrd too (http://wyrd.brownpapertickets.com/)

#16 aprilamy

aprilamy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

Saw the matinee of this yesterday and thought it was wonderful.  I was completely new to it but the score is beautiful and the performances from David Hunter and Julie Atherton are incredible.  Definitely the best I've ever seen her and a show I know will stay in my mind for a very long time.

I've written my full thoughts here if anyone is interested http://bit.ly/11tFAP4

Really hoping that this gets a longer life.

#17 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

Really hope this finds it's way to London! Wish I had enough time to make it to Leicester, sounds fantastic

#18 lesterf

lesterf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

View Postaprilamy, on 21 April 2013 - 05:59 PM, said:

Saw the matinee of this yesterday and thought it was wonderful.  I was completely new to it but the score is beautiful and the performances from David Hunter and Julie Atherton are incredible.  Definitely the best I've ever seen her and a show I know will stay in my mind for a very long time.

I've written my full thoughts here if anyone is interested http://bit.ly/11tFAP4

Really hoping that this gets a longer life.
I was also at the matinee yesterday.I agree with a lot of your blog.I saw it at Colchester too - they had the cd soundtrack for sale there at £10 and I am so glad that I purchased it as I have played it a lot since. It has a lot of the script to hear as well as the singing.
I did not see any for sale at Leicester though.

#19 Distant_Cousin

Distant_Cousin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

Saw it last night! Bloody marvellous!  I'd never heard of it before.

Hunter and Atherton were particularly superb!

Shame the CD wasn't on sale - physical copies of any cast recordings are proving to be hard to find and very expensive!

#20 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Everything Musical, Theatrical and Literary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

It's so great to see all the rave reviews from people who've seen this production!
I'm lucky enough to be seeing it again on Saturday (the perks of living in Leicester!), I just couldn't pass up the opportunity!
It truly is one of the best productions, with some of the best performances I've seen.
"And the last remnants time destroys"

My twitter account:
https://twitter.com/imjeanvaljean
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users